Ads about Slow Mac keep appearing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Politis, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Politis macrumors regular

Why do I see so many ads on websites I open telling me the same thing: they show the spinning rainbow wheel and are offering stuff for slow Macs.
    Why do I keep getting them? I have never clicked on anything like that or mentioned about my Mac being slow.

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

They utilize system information passed through cookies and other data to know you have a Mac so they use targeted ads based on that information. Has nothing to do with your complaints about your system. It is the same thing as when you are presented region based ads, as location information pertaining to your location is passed to trigger the ads.

3. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Heh, I've been using Adblock for so many years I almost forgot how annoying those banner ads really are. :rolleyes:

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What's that? :D

6. Smash87 macrumors newbie

is that a sign for viral existence?!
    i mean, when i bought a mac i thought there are no viruses for it, could it be?!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it has nothing to do with malware. It's just obnoxious ads.

8. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Yeah the adserver will have dropped a cookie in your browser so will be showing you the same ad and following you around the web

9. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Install adblock. I never see those dumb ads anymore.

Without adblock, you sometimes even get stupid ads saying "Your PC is infected by a virus" and shows a windows advertisement. ha

11. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

Blocking

For Firefox, you can use Adblock, noscript, and add a new default search engine called "duckduckgo," which scrapes shady stalker scripts from google search results. Good for more privacy.

There are a number of common trackers beyond just doubleclick that stalk you across the web. You should do some research and add all those URLs to your blocking apps to protect yourself. If you want some form of privacy you need such tools.

I used to love google, but had to fire them a while ago for being so evil. Great products/bad policies. So sad.

If anyone else has some other great tools they use, please share.

12. Aodhan macrumors regular

If you use Safari, you can get Safari extensions, which do the same thing. I use Adblock (made by the same guy as Adblock+ for Firefox), JavaScript Blocker, and ClickToFlash (prevents any flash from loading unless I click it, or whitelist it). I don't see ads anymore, haven't for years. It's wonderful.