ADs should open in a new tab or Window

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dontwalkhand, Sep 3, 2007.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

If I see an interesting ad, and I click it, at least open in a new tab or window when I click on them, rather than replace the MacRumors page I am on.

Yes I realize Ctrl Click (or Right click) and open page in new tab works, but the site should have open external links in new tabs/windows as default behavior.

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

I agree this would be a handy feature, it would just entail adding a target="_blank" cprrect?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Target="_blank" respects the browser's practice, doesn't it? Meaning that, unless you have something like SafariStand or SAFT (in Safari) or the Tab settings in Firefox forcing _blank into a new tab, it will still open in a new window.

4. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

If I understood you correctly, I think that would accomplish the goal. Right now the ads open in the current window, the goal would be to get them to open in either a new window, or tab.

Sorry If I misunderstood you.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, gotcha.... I'm guessing that advertisers won't be too thrilled about ads that can be defeated by any pop-up blocker without even needing ad blocking....

6. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Popup blockers wont stop them, many sites I visit have ads that open in new windows. For example if you go here: http://www.iphonealley.com/ And click on the top ad the site it links to appears in a new window without disturbing the site you wre visiting.

7. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Nooo!! This is a bad idea.

With no 'target=_blank', us, the users, are IN CONTROL of what opens where. If we want the linked page in a new window, we select to open it in a new window. If we want it in a new tab, we select to open it in a new tab. If we want it in the current window, we don't have to do anything but it's a passive choice not to press any modifier-key when clicking the link.

If things are changed, then we're out of control of what our browsers are doing. The more widespread target=_blank becomes (and fortunately it seems to be DECREASING in popularity), the more chaotic browsing becomes as you never know where the next link you click will be opening. New tabs/windows break the 'back' button too, and if people aren't using tabbed browsing, and the windows overlap quite a bit (common), then you (not 'you', but people like my parents), don't know why 'back' doesn't work or where the original web page went to.