Adv & Disadv of iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kkbye, Oct 25, 2010.

1. kkbye macrumors newbie

as titled, Could you guys please state out the advantages and disadvantages of an 27" iMac possibly with QuadCore i7, 8Gb ram, others are default.

main uses: internet browse, sketchup, photoshop

Still doing some researches about iMacs, just in case I regret in the future.

ps, are iWorks, Aperture 3, and AppleCare necessary? I mean, apart from AppleCare, are they downloadable?

Thanks guys!

2. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

Well, the iMac has a desktop-grade processor in an all-in-one computer, which generally use laptop parts, which is an advantage.

The iMac uses mobile graphics card, which is a disadvantage.

Neither of this will really impact the performance of what you're doing, but there's two things to get you started :)

Oh, and iWork isn't really that great, I'd just avoid it and purchase Microsoft Office for Mac if you need an office suite. Applecare is just up to you, but I've always been told that if something's wrong with your computer it should show up in the first year during the original warranty.

3. tc3jg macrumors member

Disadvantage

Changing out graphics cards and the processor will immediately void any warranty from apple.

Advantage
    the machine is pure art and draws attention from any and everyone that is in eyeshot of it and with a 27in aluminum monitor its hard to miss.

there's two more lol to get you started.

4. nelz886 macrumors member

nelz886

The top of the line iMac 27" is comparable in speed to the low-end MacPro. Aside from the portable-grade graphics card.

I agree with tc3jg, its a pretty f'in beautiful machine.