Advanced clipboard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MarijnBent, Jan 30, 2015.

1. MarijnBent macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm looking for a clipboard which allows me to bind certain keys to paste something for the keyboard. Like the 1 on my numpad to paste the first (most recent) item from my clipboard, 2 for the second, etc. I have the copy paste a lot for work so I need an efficient way to do this.

Thanks,
    Marijn

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Take a look at LaunchBar. I don't think it assigns keys to clipped text, but it does allow you to use the keyboard to select a clipping and paste it.

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

4. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

How do you do that in Yoink? It's great for drag and drop but as far as I can tell there are no keyboard shortcuts other than to manual open/close it's window.
    I use Alfred for what you describe. You can name snippets and open Alfred, search for the snippet and then paste with CMD-# to select the # you want. A clip is only 3 key presses away:
    1. Hotkey to open snippets
    2 Type in search term to search snippets or hit return to bring up all the snippets
    3. Select the one you want from the list and press its hotkey combo (Option+ snippet number)

I have set double taps of Option and CMD keys to open Alfred's snippets and search bar so it's easy to bring them up. Alfred is keyboard centric, something I am getting used to as I prefer to use the mouse, but very powerful and I am adapting to it.

Take a look at Alfred; it may serve your needs.

5. MarijnBent thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your comments!

@campguy, can I use Yoink with text, in the demo I only see the option for images etc.

I will try alfred out, thanks!

6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Supercharge Your Mac with Alfred Workflows https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMldWh0JEUY

7. campyguy macrumors 68030

Um, do what in Yoink? I only named the app and that one can find it in the MAS...
    It is drag-and-drop, and that suits my needs. That one can open it by invoking a keyboard shortcut (the default is F5) or locate the Yoink window where the dragging begins makes it handy for me.

I love Alfred, but don't use that app for multiple clipboards.

----------

Yes, Yoink works with text.

8. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

The OP was looking for a way to bind KB shortcuts to text; something I don't think Yoink will let you do, at least not that I am aware of. As you pointed out it simply makes it easier to drag and drop items.

Alfred does lets you bind text to the KB via snippets; that functionality seems to be more in line with what the OP was looking for.

Yoink and Alfred ar both great apps but do very different things and I also us both.

9. campyguy macrumors 68030

I'll admit to two things. I'm old, and I wasn't wearing my reading glasses when I read the OP when I was killing time at the airport. Therefore, my bad. Yoink! :(

10. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

No worries, been there, done that. I learn a lot of features here on MR for apps I have used for years; I figured maybe I've been missing out of some features in Yoink.
    Cheers...

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I used to use CopyPaste, which would do what you want. I never understood the interface for CopyPaste Pro, which came out for OSX. I'm not sure it's still around.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you two just enjoy saying Yoink over and over (I do). :D:p