Advanced expertise needed: Setting screen-saver as desktop BG

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Let's Sekuhara!, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

So there's this great hidden feature of OS X that allows you to set your screen-saver animation as your desktop background, but it is a Terminal command and it requires Terminal to be running in order to continue executing it. Here it is:

Code:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background
    So the million-dollar question is → Does anybody know of a way to keep this running even after you quit Terminal?

Yeah I know, it's a waste of CPU cycles and battery power... but my Mac is plenty fast and is a desktop machine so I'm not concerned about that.

So how about a Terminal command to made the above Terminal command not require Terminal to be open in order to continue?
    Any ideas?

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

Solution #1: Don't quit the terminal. I never quit it because it uses very little RAM (besides I use it a lot).

Solution #2: My meager knowledge of AppleScript tells me that MAYBE you could make a shell script and call it via AppleScript.

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

Create a plain text file called org.saver.desktopsaver.plist that contains the following text:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
            <key>Label</key>
            <string>org.saver.desktopsaver</string>
            <key>KeepAlive</key>
            <false/>
            <key>RunAtLoad</key>
            <true/>
            <key>ProgramArguments</key>
            <array>
                    <string>/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine</string>
                    <string>-background</string>
            </array>
    </dict>
    </plist>

Put that file in ~/Library/LaunchAgents (where ~ denotes your home folder).

Log out, and when you log back in you should have what you want. If you wish to revert to a standard desktop background during your session, simply open Terminal and enter

Code:
    launchctl unload ~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.saver.desktopsaver.plist
    And you can turn screensaver-as-desktop back on by entering

Code:
    launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.saver.desktopsaver.plist

4. CraigGB macrumors regular

I can suggest using wallsaver. it should do what you want :D

though its not what you asked for but its just an app that will let you set a screensaver as a background

5. Let's Sekuhara! thread starter macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Thank you, LPZ!
    I have done as instructed.

I can't restart my machine at the moment as I am in the middle of a download and also an installation, but I'll let you know how it goes when I do.

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Screen can do that..

Load up a terminal and type:
    screen
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background
    Hold the CTRL button and tap A then D (don't hold them. Tap them one after the other all while still holding down CTRL)

Close the terminal

7. LPZ macrumors 65816

Nice. I didn't know about the screen command. Thanks.

8. LPZ macrumors 65816

Log out and log in should suffice. No need to restart.

9. jynxxd macrumors newbie

jynxxd

Thnx LPZ!!!!!!

werks like a charm-- thnx LPZ

i've been werkin' on that for the past 12 hours. i was just on the brink of banging my hed against the keyboard
    :p