Advanced IPhone Issue with "Other Space."

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jwolf6589, Feb 12, 2014.

1. jwolf6589, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

I have a iPhone 4S with 16GB's and my other space is taking up 5Gb's and I can't figure out the problem. I have read numerous articles on clearing up the space online and nothing can solve the problem. I have done the following.

1. Restored iPhone from Backup
    2. Cleared Safari Cache and other files
    3. Examined Voice Memo's
    4. Ran every module in the app Phone Clean from Mac which can only recover 800MB's.
    5. Looked at FB and other apps
    6. Mail and attachments only take up 96MB's

I think I have some corrupted data which restoring to factory settings may be the only way to clear. Does anyone have any other suggestions as I have read many online tips on clearing the other space none of which have worked so it has to be corrupted data or something advanced.

I installed a app called Disk Aid and in the Cloud Assets folder discovered 2.9 GB's of MPEG movies that are not on my device. What do I do??

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Restore as new and don't put a backup back on essentially.

3. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Read this.

I am having a HUGE issue with the "other Space" on my iPhone and installed DiskAid on my Mac to get help. What I discovered is 2.9GB's of MPEG movies in the "Cloud Assets" folder under Storage. This is strange as I have ZERO movies stored on my iPhone. Would it be safe to delete all the movies in this folder as I do not have any movies on my iPhone as they are all on my Mac?

John

4. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You had an issue, wiped and restored from backup and the issue came back. Which very very strongly suggests that the issue is in the backup. So saying 'wipe it and set it up as new' is a valid answer.

5. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Do you think if I deleted the contents of this folder it would solve the problem? especially since these MPEG movies ARE NOT in my device?

[​IMG]

6. payne0391 macrumors newbie

I had this problem on my iPad Air, I found that a movie had not properly synced to the iPad so it wasn't showing up on there but it was still partly stored on there but showing in "other", I synced the movie again and then removed it properly and the "other" went back to normal.

This might be something to think about, any movies, songs, apps, documents that haven't synced correctly?

7. jwolf6589, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

I just tried syncing 2 movies this morning and iTunes crashed and my other space jumped to 6.17GB's!!! Know what do I do???? Syncing the movies back and then deleting them did not fix the problem.

8. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Restore and set up as new.

9. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Out of curiosity, when you restore from an iCloud backup, will the other space be back like it will if you iTunes restore? I feel like iCloud restore is almost like setting it up as a new device since it re-downloads everything and such. I'm probably completely wrong but I figured I'd ask. :confused:

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

From what I recall it's not quite the same as restoring from an iTunes backup, so it might make a difference in a case like that.

11. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

I think it does. I did a clean dfu install to 7.1 beta 5 and restored from iCloud backup. My other space went down from 2gb to 900mb.