Advanced iTunes Management Applications

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by velocityg4, Jul 11, 2011.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

First some history. I have a rather extensive iTunes library and am looking for a third party application or a means through iTunes to more efficiently manage my database. Much of it is a mess as I imported them into iTunes 1 or 2 in Mac OS 9 when I started college years ago. This was done by me and two roommates over our home network for two or three weeks. Before iTunes had much of an auto label database. So each CD had to be labeled by hand and there was nothing like Wikipedia to find the proper genre of an artist so we guessed or made up genres.

Genre Management: I have most of my music sorted down to sub-genres such as Rock - Doo Wop, Jazz - Bossa Nova, &c. This has been a work in progress for the last several months as I have over 28,000 songs. Anyways I find that on individual artists they will be in multiple genres, the worst offenders caused by soundtracks and compilations.

So is there a program or iTunes function that will search out all artists that appear in multiple genres, display the tracks with genre info and allow me to place them all in one genre? Yes, I know many artists perform in more than one genre for those I just choose their most common genre.

Advanced Duplicate Finding: First off I am well aware of the simple "Display Duplicates" function in iTunes. I am looking for a more robust duplicate detector to help clear the chaff. One great function would be ignoring duplicates between different albums. Take Led Zeppelin for example the songs in "BBC Sessions" and their regular studio albums are the same names. Since they are separate albums the duplicate function should ignore them. Yet always display duplicates from criteria I specify such as those with a blank album name.

I would also like to have it ignore entire genres. Such as classical. As so many songs by a composer have the same name but are different parts of a composition like "Adagio", "Allegro", &c.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You aren't going to find anything that will do more for you than typing in the artist name in the search bar and editing the metadata yourself. That's all a 'sorting assistant' app is going to do- produce a list of likely candidates for you to make the final call on.

3. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

You are better off doing some of this yourself. I have close to 25k songs now and I spent maybe 3 days worth of time cleaning it up this year.

4. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Oh well, I was hoping someone knew of a program that provided a more thorough analysis and edit of the iTunes database and media. I've already put in 80+ hours since last November on this. I guess I'll just keep plugging away at it.

5. benh911f macrumors 6502

Have you checked out apps like Tagalicious & TuneUp?

6. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I'll give TuneUp a shot for songs that are missing track and artist info. Though I did not see anything in the demo video about some of the more intricate compare functions I mentioned.

7. ctakim macrumors 6502

I really like Dupin for advanced duplicate management. Also I use PowerTunes to manage multiple iTunes libraries across my home network.

8. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That looks like it is for automated removal of duplicates. Which I most certainly do not want to occur.