Advanced OS X Books

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johnjay1776, Oct 26, 2008.

1. johnjay1776 macrumors member

Was wondering if someone could provide some good book recommendations for the OS X operating system. I have just fairly recently purchased and iMac and a MacBook along with a book by Pogue called the "missing manual" or something similar.

It's an excellent book but I feel that I now have a pretty good grasp of the basic OS X operating system features. I've also been employed in the IT industry working with the UNIX operating system for several years and I'm looking for a more advanced OS X book resource. Any suggestions?

Don't feel you need to limit your suggestions to books either. Any pointers towards outstanding periodicals would be welcome as well.

2. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

Dude dont use a book the best way to learn is hands on mess around with stuff get the feel for it

3. johnjay1776 thread starter macrumors member

4. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
  5. johnjay1776 thread starter macrumors member

Excellent! Exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. Keep them coming.

6. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    Being in the IT field with UNIX experience, it may be a good idea to read through the Advanced System Administrator book. It is also part of the apple training series. It has some information you likely won't need, like how to calculate how much cooling you need for a data center and what not, but it also include a lot of stuff on how to operate the client and server purely from the unix shell bash. If you are deploying macs in your work place there is a Deployment book in the series with a lot of great information. The deployment book was my favorite by far. Modular image creation and netbook installing has come in really handy at work, and will be even more so once we start getting the firewireless macbooks in. I did not like the Server Essentials book as much, but it is useful if you work with leopard server at all. Also a nifty tidbit I learned is that if you download the Server Admin Tools (free on apple's website) you can use Workgroup Manager (log in as localhost with admin credentials) and manage your computer extensively. You create a new computer account (represented by the square), enter in your mac's ethernet address, and you can start managing preferences. Much more intuitive and useful that its windows counterpart group policy, and most mac administrators don't know you don't need a server to use it :)

-W

I also work in an UNIX and Windows enviroment at my school. I work in IT as part of a work study program while I get my bachelors in business management.

7. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

It never occurred to me to read any of these. I might just. Thanks for starting this thread.

8. KítscheñÇinqµe macrumors regular

libraries tend to avoid badly written books. recently i picked up some of the "comprehensive intro for computer savvy users" type books on Os x (will try out this week...). i also saw something like these: http://images.google.com/images?q=Unix+on+mac+|+"os+x"+|+tiger+isbn
    but I'm not ready for that. I flipped thru it, and it looked ok. sorry I don't recall the particular book. (it was probably this:
    http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:http://www.amazon.com/review/product/0201795353
    but that's 2003)
    (same topic: http://www.google.com/search?q=Star...uk+Average+|+Customer+Review+|+review/product)
    in general, i like well-indexed books, pdfs, and other help files.