Advanced Preview: Zombie Mansion

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by razorianfly, Nov 12, 2008.

1. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Hi Guys!

Thought you might be interested in this ...

A couple of weeks back, Sean from SourceITSoftware tipped me off on his iPhone title Zombie Mansion. Consequentially, Sean also asked me to design the icon for the app, which I did. ;)
    Now, although featured on Gamesatra and other high profile gaming sites, no-one has yet had a 'hands-on' copy to review, until yesterday.
    I was lucky enough to score a beta copy before it's initial release onto the App Store.

So, What is Zombie Mansion?
    Zombie mansion is a first person shooter (FPS) set in a maze-ridden haunted mansion filled with zombies of every variety.
    Your aim? - escape Zombie Mansion, alive.

Important: Zombie Mansion is still in it’s ‘beta’ development stages. As a result screen shots and video material of actual game play may be unfinished,
    and/or unpolished, until stated otherwise by it’s developers. Zombie Mansion was reviewed at ‘Beta 1′.

Snippet from Review:

For anyone interested, the full review of the game (with more screenshots) is available here.
    Feel free to leave your comments, and I'll be sure to see Sean gets them.

[Edit] - Actual gameplay footage planned for tomorrow

Cheers,
    R-Fly

Attached Files:

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Looks interesting, but what is the bent stick looking thing in all of the screen shots?

3. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

It's your characters cane. It's used to conjure up energy blasts and then helps you aim them at your enemies.

R-Fly

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ok, looks kind of silly in my opinion.

5. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Looks like trash, then im not at all interested in iphone games, they are just not good enough, and the device is not suitable for most games.

6. scott99 macrumors 6502a

You're pretty right about that. Most of the good games are puzzle games (I'm totally addicted to Bejeweled 2 & Cubes) and racing games.

7. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I think this looks good. Ill certainly give this a shot. I'm waiting for Quake as well.

8. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

9. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

By the way, if you're looking for beta testers, sign me up.

10. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

For anyone interested, ACTUAL game play footage of Zombie Mansion is now available HERE. :cool:

Feel free to leave any comments.

R-Fly

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You did a really nice job with the video, and great choice of song. ;) I have to say, though, that the game footage itself doesn't look very promising, either in terms of graphics and animation or in terms of gameplay. If Quake can run on an iPhone reasonably, well, it should set a bogey for the complexity of these kinds of games... this isn't even up to the standards of Wolfenstein 3D... the combat / monster actions need to be much more sophisticated... Sorry.

12. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Thanks :cool: - I'm not the developer, but I'll be sure to let Sean of SourceITSoftware know how you feel about the game in general.
    He's told me he's looking for all the feedback he can get before it's release.

Currently at Beta 3 - with more builds on the way.

R-Fly

13. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Looks great. Now.. how much will it cost and when can I expect it?

And.... dev want any testers?
    :p.

14. Illinoisemakers macrumors member

Looks pretty good. Get rid of the Harry Potter stick thing and give us some guns or knives. Also the sound effects are pretty rough. I'd spend 3.99 on it.

15. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

+1
    The cane does look silly. It doesn't match the sound effect as to "cane conjures energy blasts". Like other people said it would be better if they used a real gun (unless that's the real twist of the game)

I was considering that you just smash/whack the zombies with the game when I first saw it, but after looking at the video now I somehow knew what was the cane for. Seriously, change the cane, just my two cents.

Game play does remind me of Quake. Could he add jump to the character too? Use the accelerometer to walk front back, sideways? And improve graphics more then this should be really cool to play with. I hope replay value too will be improved.

16. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

17. iblastoff macrumors 6502

i don't see the appeal of FPS games on the iphone. so ehh no thanks.

18. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I was sold on this game, until I saw the video. The cane magic and the zombies look horrible compared to the environments...$1.99 game.