Advanced replacement without credit card - Possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J3ffry, Jan 8, 2013.

1. J3ffry macrumors member

I've opted for another replacement due to screen issues with my rMBP. Since i've lost my faith in consisted quality of rMBP screens i would like to keep my current rMPB so i can compare when receiving the new one. But to do this you need a credit card, which i don't have... Is there anyone who's got experience with this situation, and managed to get the advanced replacement without a credit card?

Greets,
    Jeffrey

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Nope - they aren't going to ship you a second machine without a card. They may, but remember they have your original card ;)

3. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Not a chance, you want them to ship you a $2000+ computer and not have any security to insure they will get one back in return??? Yea thats not going to happen :cool:

4. De5 macrumors member

There are these visa cards (im in canada, dont know if its like this in the US). You order a visa card which you can put money on, either through a post office or a bank. Maximum is $10000, minimum you put on the card is $50. Everytime you load the card, you have to pay a $3 fee, and also $3 per month for having the card. You can take money out of this card and turn it into cash whenever you want. Also if you're doing a return, you CAN get money on the card without a fee.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Credit or Debit card have worked for me in the past for Advance RMAs.

If you dont have either then you should reevaluate your finances. Something is wrong.

6. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

so ur saying to just put 50 on the card and keep the new retina? lol jk

OP i believe American express has something called bluebird here in the states. which is like that

7. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Apple is a smart company, I'm sure they've already thought of people doing this.

Plus, the numbers on a credit card identify which bank and card type are associated with them. I can almost guarantee you that they can detect it's a prepaid card.

8. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

I am sure apple wants you to buy the new one in full.. not just have a CC "on hand" in which that prepaid would be fine. op would have to take his cash and buy the new computer then be refunded when the old one is returned.

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes Im sue they can detect its a prepaid card, but why not try?

All CC #s start like this;

Amex - 3
    Visa - 4
    MC - 5
    Discover - 6

American Express was the first CC company, so ALL their accounts start with the #3, Visa was second and ALL their accounts start with #4, and so forth.

10. J3ffry thread starter macrumors member

I live in the Netherlands where in fact most people don't use credit cards. What i'm aiming at is a like a "contract" or something? I'm wondering if there are people who managed to work something like that out...

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I dig the narrow-minded response, it is awesome. Not everyone needs a CC and as the OP has now stated, it is not customary where he comes from.

OP, I do not think you will see any joy without giving them some method of payment that they can use to ensure you can pay for the second computer should you choose not to return it. Sad but true.

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Well if he doesn't "need" a CC then he should have plenty of cash to just buy one and return one... whats the problem?