Advanced screen calibration gone in El Capitan?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by neutrak, Jun 10, 2015.

1. neutrak macrumors newbie

Noticed the colour of my screen looks a lot different under El Capitan so I tried to calibrate it to how I have it under Yosemite but it appears that the checkbox for the advanced screen calibration is gone now :( ... Anyone else experiencing this?

2. SgtPepper23 macrumors regular

its possible to calibrate it with personal settings. i just looked at it, and definitely used one of the alternate calibrations, the colours did seem a little too washed out

3. skeuomorphism macrumors newbie

skeuomorphism

Hold the Option key when you click Calibrate... in the Display preferences pane and the expert options will appear.

4. neutrak thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thank you! That worked. Interesting that they're hiding it now.

5. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

Hiding it? Without holding option as suggested (thanks for that skeuomorphism), it wouldn't even offer me the "basic" calibration. It only let me change the "white point" and that was it. In Mavericks and earlier, it had a "basic" gamma correction mode and an advanced one. Holding option (not sure how one is supposed to know this since they showed no instructions) gives the "advanced" version, but basic here is just plain gone (for both monitors).

I had to buy a new Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter (Amazon Basic) as my previous models that worked fine in Mavericks no longer function period in El Capitan. Something changed. My primary display is still fine (HDMI) but with the new adapter, the colors are a bit off, but then that monitor seems to go off slightly on its own over time (not very good quality, IMO; I bought it because it also had a TV tuner so I could watch tv shows on my desk when I didn't seen the 2nd monitor).

6. dadnjesse macrumors newbie

Thank you that worked for me

7. Gmouse macrumors regular

To add to this, I used the ColorSync Utility to check my profiles, and it found 24 bad out of 180. I used repair to repair some of them, but, 8 remain bad. Not sure where they came from or why they were bad (or, how really bad they are)?

Searching for profiles...

Checking 180 profiles...

/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ACESCG Linear.icc

Header message digest (MD5) is not correct.

/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ITU-2020.icc

/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ITU-709.icc

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/RedBlueYelllow.icc

Tag 'pseq': Required tag is not present.

/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ROMM RGB.icc

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Smokey.icc

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/TealMagentaGold.icc

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/TotalInkPreview.icc

Verify done. Found 8 bad profiles.

8. Jasoncatt macrumors newbie

Jasoncatt

I tried that and it did nothing. Any other way of getting it to work? The only thing that happened when I held the Option key down is it showed the "Detect Displays" button.

9. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

hold option when you click on 'calibrate'...and the expert options can be turned on in the next window...

10. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

11. the bug macrumors member

the bug

Holy Crap !!!
    Thank you, I thought it was yet another thing taken away from us, can't believe I missed this post !
    Thanks again !

- Jay

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

When in doubt, option key. It unlocks a lot of hidden functionality throughout OS X. (just try it with your menu bar)

13. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

This is one of Apple's more annoying habits.
    They never leave a clue that holding down option will cause something special to happen.
    They could at least put a little purple pixel at the lower left of each menu item or button whenever holding down option will cause something interesting to happen.
    As is, we're left going through each and every menu, every dialog, with and without option down, just checking to see if something happens. These things aren't Easter eggs, they're important functions that some people need badly.
    It's a crummy way to build an OS.

14. appealinglady macrumors newbie

appealinglady

15. appealinglady macrumors newbie

appealinglady

Same issue calling Apple support now. I will let you know if I find out how to repair it. You used to be able to repair in Disk Ut. but that is not working either. However make sure your fire Vault is not turned on by default it automatically locks when downloading El Cap. You maybe locked out as the administrator so you will not be able to repair right now. Until you unlock fire V. than set up as an admin.

16. Andregyn macrumors newbie

Andregyn

I had the same problem, worked perfectly:
    Hold the Option key when you click Calibrate... in the Display preferences pane and the expert options will appear.