Advanced Search

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by bmcgonag, Mar 3, 2010.

1. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I was trying to use advanced search to search only for threads with at most 0 replies (so no answers yet), and it ran the search but showed all posts in the selected categories.

This used to work fine, not sure why but this is about the 2nd week now that it's been like this.

Thanks,

Brian

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, it seems to do the same for me at the moment. :confused:

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We completely replaced the searching system when we upgraded the server. Most of the quirks have been worked out but a few remain.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

When you say you replaced it, does that mean it is a completely different system?
    Have you been able to see a difference in the search results?
    Is there a way to tell if the results are improved?

I know there has been a lot of talk about the search and Google/MRoogle
    How does this compare now?

Just curious if you have seen any major differences

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's like the "Extended" search we used to have, as an alternative to the default "Regular" search. Now extended is the only choice. It should handle the advanced syntax described here better than in used to.

In my own testing I found it to be just as fast as before. There were some sorting glitches and nutty error messages at first. The "at most 0" feature seems to work if you fill in a keyword (contrary to the message you see about leaving it blank) and if you set it to "Search Titles Only".

6. bmcgonag thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Alrighty, but that kind of defeats my purpose, I just like to look at all the unanswered posts in certain forums, and see if I can help anyone out...

thanks for the assist.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I didn't know you fixed extended search. Supposedly there were problems years ago, especially with searches in quotes.

I wish you would allow searches to only have 2 characters, as long as other keywords are used. It's hard to do a search on only 3G stuff.