iPhone Advantage/Disadvantage to install iOS 6 before switch to iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by x986, Sep 27, 2012.

1. x986 macrumors regular

I've been hanging on to iOS 5x.x, but now I'm beginning to wonder if installing iOS 6 on my 4s a day or so before activating my iPhone 5 (whenever it comes) might make for an easier transition.

Any experiences (or thoughts)?

2. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

personally I would leave 5.1 if your gonna sell it. I would think it would have a better resale value since it can't go back once its updated the new buyer may want one that still has 5.1 or they could always update it themselves.
    just my 2 cents.

3. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

just sounds like extra work. if u install ios 6, configure your 4S...just to have to do it all again on the new phone...seems pointless.

just my 2 cents...

4. x986 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanx, but I don't intend to sell. I'll keep it as a spare when my kids destroy one of theirs.

I'm asking the question because I know there are bugs in both OS6 and Phone5, so I'd like to figure out which is which.

5. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

well in that case yes update.

6. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I suppose you could update to see how bad the maps are for you... that way it's not as big of a shock when you get your 5, but I'd stay with 5.1.

I know I wish I did.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'd keep 5.1 so I can use Google maps if I want. That way you have "best of both worlds" -- turn by turn on iOS 6 on your iPhone 5, and Google maps for everything else on your older iPhone.