iPhone Advantage/Disadvantage to install iOS 6 before switch to iPhone 5

x986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
NorCal
I've been hanging on to iOS 5x.x, but now I'm beginning to wonder if installing iOS 6 on my 4s a day or so before activating my iPhone 5 (whenever it comes) might make for an easier transition.

Any experiences (or thoughts)?

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
I've been hanging on to iOS 5x.x, but now I'm beginning to wonder if installing iOS 6 on my 4s a day or so before activating my iPhone 5 (whenever it comes) might make for an easier transition.

Any experiences (or thoughts)?
personally I would leave 5.1 if your gonna sell it. I would think it would have a better resale value since it can't go back once its updated the new buyer may want one that still has 5.1 or they could always update it themselves.
just my 2 cents.

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
just sounds like extra work. if u install ios 6, configure your 4S...just to have to do it all again on the new phone...seems pointless.

just my 2 cents...

x986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
NorCal
personally I would leave 5.1 if your gonna sell it. I would think it would have a better resale value since it can't go back once its updated the new buyer may want one that still has 5.1 or they could always update it themselves.
just my 2 cents.
Thanx, but I don't intend to sell. I'll keep it as a spare when my kids destroy one of theirs.

I'm asking the question because I know there are bugs in both OS6 and Phone5, so I'd like to figure out which is which.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
Thanx, but I don't intend to sell. I'll keep it as a spare when my kids destroy one of theirs.

I'm asking the question because I know there are bugs in both OS6 and Phone5, so I'd like to figure out which is which.
well in that case yes update.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I suppose you could update to see how bad the maps are for you... that way it's not as big of a shock when you get your 5, but I'd stay with 5.1.

I know I wish I did.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'd keep 5.1 so I can use Google maps if I want. That way you have "best of both worlds" -- turn by turn on iOS 6 on your iPhone 5, and Google maps for everything else on your older iPhone.