Advantage/Disadvantage to waiting to buy Applecare?


macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
(I am about to get a MacBook Pro)
I've read often on here about how you can wait until your first year of ownership is almost up before buying AppleCare.

But is there any advantage to getting it right away. Or disadvantage to waiting? If it's all the same, I suppose I'll wait.

This will be the first Mac I've ever gotten AppleCare for. I do really want the peace of mind.

Thanks - John


macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Well, if a few days before you buy your MBP you put that money in a 12 month CD, you will make money. Let's say you can get 4.5% you can make about $16.

In general you have to consider the time value of money, your money will be worth less then than now. But at ~$350 it isn't a huge deal.

If you are buying on credit, wait. Period.

If you buy right a way you get phone support after 90 days, but if you live near an Apple store this isn't a huge deal.


macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
rdowns said:
The price could go up.
Could. But in general the price of technolgy type stuff goes down.

Let's leave it at this:
--if you have the cash now, buy it
--if you are buying on credit, wait


macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
You'll lose the phone support after 90 days. If that's an issue for you then you might want to consider buying it within 3 months rather than 12.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.