Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w8ing4intelmacs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
East Coast, US
Why are there flat-heads, phillips, and torx screwdrivers? What are the advantages of one over the other? Why can't the "best one" just become the standard?

(this is me not understanding why you use a little phillips screwdriver to open the memory/hard drive slots for a macbook but need a torx screwdriver to release the hard drive from the drive sled - couldn't they use small phillips screws for that too?)

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
In my experience from working at a horse ranch while at school, hex(torx) screws were all we used to built stalls, barns, etc. Philips and flat heads strip easily, and since they come in so many different sizes, you spend more time trying to find the right bit to fit the screw head than actually screwing/unscrewing the screw.

Also, when the screws rust, both philips and flat heads will be impossible to get out without other means.

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
Torx type screws, allow you to apply more torque. Leting you fasten the screw much tighter. With out the danger, of striping the head.

Also, it lets the manufacture gain a little security. In the fact that most people don't have torx drivers, just laying around. Unlike the Phillips and standard drivers.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Wikipedia:

Where Phillips heads were designed to cause the driver to cam out, to prevent over-tightening, TORX heads were designed to prevent [cam-out]. The reason for this was the development of better torque-limiting automatic screwdrivers for use in factories. Rather than relying on the tool slipping out of the screw head when a torque level is reached, and thereby risking damage to the driver tip, screw head and workpiece, the drivers were designed to achieve a desired torque consistently.

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
In my experience from working at a horse ranch while at school, hex(torx) screws were all we used to built stalls, barns, etc. Philips and flat heads strip easily, and since they come in so many different sizes, you spend more time trying to find the right bit to fit the screw head than actually screwing/unscrewing the screw.

Also, when the screws rust, both philips and flat heads will be impossible to get out without other means.

hex and torx are not the same. Torx are star shaped hex are exactly that hexagonal.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Why are there flat-heads, phillips, and torx screwdrivers? What are the advantages of one over the other? Why can't the "best one" just become the standard?

Why are there Mac, Linux, and Windows operating systems? What are the advantages of one over the other? Why can't the "best one" just become the standard? ;)

Seriously, though: Why not use Torx screws for everything? In terms of Apple's design, I think the Phillips screws identify parts that are intended to be replaced by the user, and the Torx screws identify parts intended to be replaced by a technician.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
So why not use torx screws for everything?

sorry, im venting and im tired of having all these different little screwdrivers.

I'm guessing the reason is that Torx screws aren't more prominent is that they require the exact right Torx screwdriver size.

With Philips and flathead, you can have just a couple of different screwdrivers and can use it big, small, and everything in between.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I'm guessing the reason is that Torx screws aren't more prominent is that they require the exact right Torx screwdriver size.

With Philips and flathead, you can have just a couple of different screwdrivers and can use it big, small, and everything in between.

That seems like an excellent reason to me. Flat head needs the fewest different size screwdrivers. Phillips is an improvement on design because there's less slipping when screwing, but you need more sizes for good fit. Hex and torx have the least slippage and allow better torquing, but require very precise sizes for each screw.

JNB

macrumors 604
Count all the variations in each class and there are a few dozen or so bit/head types. Oh, and don't forget the Security/Tamper-proof versions of many of them. I've got one case of nothing but security bits. Total pain, really. Some of these screws are only found in public restroom stalls. Geez...

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
At least Torx screwdrivers can be bought in most hardware stores. I have bits for T5-T10 that I got from Sears for my MacBook HDD tray and various other Torx things. What's really irking me, though, is that I can't find screwdrivers for those five-point screws on iPod hard drives anywhere. Does anyone know what they're called or where you can buy them at?

TheJayWay

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
It's too bad the Canadian answer to the Philips and Flat-heads never took off. I've never rounded off a Robertson (Square) and kind like them, I guess at this point its six and one half dozen of the other..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.