advantage of using new HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by codyPT, Apr 9, 2009.

1. codyPT macrumors newbie

I am getting a new Macbook after my old one broke. I have 320 GB HDD from that old one and I am wondering if I should just swap it with the one in the new computer or transfer data over to the new one. What are the advantages to do so?
    Another option I have is to restore data from the Time Machine to the new drive.
    I would appreciate your recommendations. Thanks

2. raziel777 macrumors regular

Is the new hard drive larger than 320 gig.? As long as it's not 5,400 rpm.

3. codyPT thread starter macrumors newbie

The new one is 250 GB, both 5,400 rpm.

4. raziel777 macrumors regular

5. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

I'm debating about getting a new macbook soon and will be in the same boat. I have a 400 gb MBP harddrive. Does anyone know if I can just swap the harddrives? Or is the hardware different enough that I will have to install the bigger drive and reformat, and reinstall os x?

6. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

I had the same problem i had an old whitebook with a 320gb HDD and sold it to buy the new unimacbook and found out you cant just switch them cause they use diffrent builds of Leopard so you have to just do a backup with Time Machine then when you first boot up your mac just restore from TM back up thats what i did.

7. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

As the poster above said, you cannot swap drives between models of machines. Since the models differ, the hardware can differ, and as a result, the build of OS X installed will be different.

What you should do is set up the new hard drive and move all your data onto it until you have it exactly as you'd like. Then, back up the old drive if possible, and use Carbon Copy Cloner or a similar tool to copy the new drive to the 320GB drive and then install that drive into the new macbook.

8. codyPT thread starter macrumors newbie

9. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

if you don't mind the time spent on swapping the HDD and going through some possible hiccups of getting your files/OS onto the new hDD then do it! I've done it 3 times and sometimes it can be a pain in the ass, but for me it's been worth it each time, going from 160GB to 250 to 320 (7200rpm). But yeah I've ran into issues a couple times making a 30min job into a two hour troubleshoot. good luck!

10. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I recently:

1. Cloned my White MacBooks 320GB 7200rpm to a 120GB 7200rpm in an enclosure. Swapped them.

2. Cloned my new Aluminum MacBooks 250GB stock 5400rpm to the 320GB in the enclosure. Swapped them.

Worked perfect with one unforeseen hitch. The white uses a T8 for the EMI shield and the aluminum uses a T6 for its HD guides. I thought they used the same size so I had to go get the correct tool.

11. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I did a clone before and it worked fine, except.. things weren't as snappy - it took a second for dashboard to appear, other little glitches. So I ended up redoing it using a time machine backup