Advantage to ordering from apple.com?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by richard13, Dec 11, 2013.

1. richard13 macrumors 6502a

So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 15" rMBP top-tier model with no changes to the configuration. I think that since this is not a BTO/CTO that I should be able to just get it from any Apple Store as long as it is in stock.

Normally I enjoy this experience but ever since the iPhone 5 "scratches straight out of the box" debacle I've grown leery of the Apple Store (or at least that one location).

Is there any advantage to ordering from apple.com instead? Which do you prefer?

Thanks!

2. Yell0w macrumors regular

This website is good. Search for the model and then search for the lowest price.

http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

You would experience manufacturing issues with any other seller. Don't think that one retailer is immune.

The benefit of ordering through an Apple store or Apple.com is an easy exchange/return policy. But you aren't going to have an advantage of getting a better model if you order through Apple.com instead of an Apple store.

Something like the iPhone 5 having scratches right out of the box has nothing to do with that specific store location. Don't put it on them.

4. TheEnthusiast macrumors regular

I prefer in-store due to ease of return and there's isn't any real reason, in my opinion, to order online, unless you want a specific configuration. Also, I hate waiting on technology. It has to be one of the worst aspects of life. :D

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If I order from apple.com I can no only get the CTO/BTO variations but also the refurbished (at sizable savings) if I don't need a special configuration. Also, my Discover Card gives me 5% cash back at apple.com and only 1% cash back at the retail store. And if I want to pick up my purchase at the retail store, I can usually do that.

I've only purchased my first Mac (before I knew any better?) and one I needed quickly at the retail store. The rest (I guess about 10 others) were from apple.com.

6. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Well the plus side of buying online is that you can do it while in your bed with no pants on.

On the minus side you have to wait for it to get to your house.

On the plus side you can wait without putting on any pants.

On the minus side you'll have to put on pants when you sign for the package unless you're really good friends with the UPS guy.

7. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link. I'll check this out.

Oh yes, you are correct on that. What I didn't mention is that I'm upset with that store not because of the scratches but how I was treated for returning the phones because of the scratches. They basically acted like I was abusing the return policy which I wasn't. There's no excuse for bad customer service.

ROFL! Thanks for the laugh.. informative too!

Ah hah! This is what I'm talking about. I didn't realize I could get 5% bonus cash back at apple.com by using my Discover card! Too bad it's capped at $1500. Oh well, some more is better than less more. Thanks for the tip!

I hate to wait too. Bonus cash back… or get MBP right away… need to decide here.

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The cap is on purchases made through the 5% cash back bonus (currently all online purchases). There is no cap when you use "Shop Discover" to enter the Apple site. But when I double checked, you get 5% plus your usual discount (1%) for 6% total.

9. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Ordered my first Macbook Pro yesterday, 15 inch retina with Nvidia graphics. $200 off with education discount. Ordered online with in store pickup, and had the computer in my hands an hour later. Really like it so far. Want to install windows on it soon to test out some newer games though (only 60/130 games in my steam library are compatible with OS X, and most are older games)

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I ordered mine online with the edu discount for store pickup. It was very fast, and I basically walked in with the email receipt and walked out with my machine within a few minutes. If it hadn't been close to closing time I would've opened the box in the store. Thankfully it was pristine out of the box and hasn't had issues outside of trackpadgate which hasn't happened for a while.

11. krravi macrumors 65816

Main advantage according to me, from personal experience is, when you order from Apple, you can take it to the nearest Apple store for repairs.

If you order from MacMall or Amazon, they wont touch it and ask you to contact the retailer.

12. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

I don't understand. You're saying thar if I buy a Mac from Amazon, I can't get repair service from Apple? If so, then that isn't correct.

13. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yes. Apple gets more money. :D

14. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

One benefit I like is Apple sends a courier to your house to pickup the product if there is an issue with it. Some other retailers make you pay for shipping back to them which I personally do not like.

Of course I'm not saying all companies are like that, Amazon for example will pay for a courier to pickup an item you're returning for whatever reason but there are some exceptions when it comes to other retailers.

15. krravi macrumors 65816

You will get repair services from Apple. NOT from an Apple store. You have to ship your item to Apple to repair it.

16. Silon macrumors member

I was just wondering, do Apple stores always have base configurations in storage?

17. sumva, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013

sumva macrumors newbie

That is not true. I had the screen replaced for my rMBP which was purchased from macmall at an Apple store.

18. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Not true. The Genius Bar will service any Apple product regardless of where you purchased it from.

In fact a buddy of mine recently had his Mac, which was purchased at BestBuy, repaired at the AppleStore last week.

19. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

Savings on the TAXes!

If I order online I pay only ~$140 tax for a $2399 rMBP, in store they charge ~$245 tax (thanks to the Chicago).

it is a big saving for me, i could wait 3-4 days for shipping.:cool:

20. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Right now an advantage would be an extended holiday return policy.

"Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between November 1, 2013 and December 25, 2013, may be returned through January 7, 2014."

It's only a slight advantage though if you order now.

21. Yell0w macrumors regular

Best buy has this policy as well. Take advantage of their generosity but don't abuse it.

22. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, unfortunately if I went through the link at "Shop Discover" I would lose my EPP discount which comes from a different link and is higher. Thanks though. I'll keep this in mind for other purchases and even with the cap it's a good deal!

I should have tried this. My order shipped today and will be here next Wednesday. Not bad but not as quick as picking it up at the store.

BTW, it says my order shipped today from China. Really? They still do this? My iMac shipped from California!

23. krravi macrumors 65816

Okay then my Apple store is the culprit then. I took my iMac i got from Amazon and they wouldn't touch it.

24. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

As long as it has been registered they should touch it and they won't even know where it was purchased. Check on the site https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do for warranty coverage.

Now one thing you can't do is return a product to the Apple Store that you haven't purchased there.

25. krravi macrumors 65816

Well this was a two years ago... it was for a tinted yellow screen on my iMac. Finally I ended up returning it to Amazon for a refund.