Advantage to reformatting Windows iPod to HFS

Discussion in 'iPod' started by SteelWheel, May 11, 2008.

1. SteelWheel macrumors member

So, the free iPod I got a few years ago, my disappointments with Vista, the "conversions" of several friends finally got me to take the plunge. I now have a totally pimped out, everything one could want, MBP. It would seem natural to have my iPod sync to this laptop, rather than my XP laptop, wouldn't you say?

So here's the deal: My 160 GB iPod Classic is about 75% full now (with NO music--I just use it to listen to/watch podcasts). Naturally, I don't use the laptop to store the iTunes library--currently, I have a Seagate external 160 GB 2.5" HDD for that purpose. I suppose the easiest way to set up a system where my iPod syncs with the MBP, would be to copy the entire Seagate disk to another one, where the second is formatted as an HFS drive (I already have MacDrive on my XP laptop, so that should do the trick, I would hope).

As I understand this, at this point, the MBP should happily accept the Windows (actually, FAT, I suppose) formatted iPod, but be willing to feed it info from the new HFS iTunes library which I'll plug into the MBP. Does all this sound ok so far?

The question beyond this: Is there any reason to just go and reformat the iPod itself to HFS? I've always found iTunes under Windows to not work well for me, and others have similar reports. Wondered if making the setup as free of Windows file formats and similar would produce any better results.

Thanks, interested in hearing from anyone who has attempted/is considering this sort of thing..

2. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

While your Mac will read your Windows formatted iPod you won't be able to update your firmware in the future.

As a recent switcher I used Senuti to copy my iPod contents to my new iMac before re-formatting to HFS. Easily done with no problems