Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneTrueBob

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2004
Atlanta, GA
vtprinz said:
Ok so we have...
Disadvantages:
-Can't use wireless keyboard for certain bootup or login processes
-Have to buy wired keyboard separately

I would add:
- Need to replace batteries in mouse about once a month.
- You're more than likely going to have other wires anyway (For iPod, printers, scanners, cameras etc.)
- A wireless keyboard is no big deal. I'm sure you've seen the TV commercials with a person moving around the office with a wireless keyboard on their laps, typing way without ever once stopping to look at the display. I can assure you that this is complete fiction.

To advantages I would add:
- A wireless mouse is very handy. Dragging a cord along when moving the pointer can slow you down if it gets hung up behind your desk or simply just drags along on the surface of your desk.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
allisonv7 said:
Thanks for the opinions guys :) I'm thinking I'll probably skip the bluetooth for now. I'm probably going to get the $1499 model with the 512mb ram upgrade and airport card installed. How long do you guys think that will take to build? I dont want to wait too long to get it :)

allison.

When I "build" it at the store, it adds only 2 days (shipping goes from 1-3 days to 3-5 days). FWIW, adding BT as well doesn't change the time.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
jsw said:
When I "build" it at the store, it adds only 2 days (shipping goes from 1-3 days to 3-5 days). FWIW, adding BT as well doesn't change the time.

Well thats not too bad, I remember when they first came out I was doing mock builds and it was a few weeks shipping time. If they wouldve put a decent amount of memory in them I'd just go to the store a pick it up.....oh well :)

allison.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
allisonv7 said:
Well thats not too bad, I remember when they first came out I was doing mock builds and it was a few weeks shipping time. If they wouldve put a decent amount of memory in them I'd just go to the store a pick it up.....oh well :)

allison.
Just curious: since they sell the memory and the AirPort cards at the stores, why don't you just go buy one? Or, better, buy one with the AirPort card but buy RAM online?

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
jsw said:
Just curious: since they sell the memory and the AirPort cards at the stores, why don't you just go buy one? Or, better, buy one with the AirPort card but buy RAM online?

I'm a bit hesistant opening up a computer, I never have before. Plus the $75 upgrade to the 512 mb seems like a good deal. Can I buy the memory in the store for that same price?

thanks,

allison.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
allisonv7 said:
I'm a bit hesistant opening up a computer, I never have before. Plus the $75 upgrade to the 512 mb seems like a good deal. Can I buy the memory in the store for that same price?

thanks,

allison.
First, it's a piece of cake to add RAM and an AirPort card to a new iMac. Not easy as in "easy for a tech nerd to do". Easy as in "your mom could do it". Easy as in "Dubya could do it".

Plus, they'll do it for you either for free or for a minimal charge at the store - and then you get to walk out with your new system, no worries about getting lost in the shipping process, etc. The prices are the same, I believe.

Edit: the plus to your way is that you get 1 RAM stick with 512 MB on it for $75 more, not a total of two 256MB sticks, which means you have an extra slot free still, which is a good thing (i.e., a reason to order online). Or, for ~$150, you can buy a 512MB stick online, bringing you to 768MB. Or you can buy the 256 MB stick someone's selling in these forums for $35 shipped, bringing your total to 512MB. It all depends on how much you eventually want for RAM - if it's 512MB, you could get the $35 stick in the Marketplace forum. If you eventually want to upgrade past 512MB, the $75 upgrade price (you get 1 512MB stick instead of 1 256MB stick) isn't too bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.