Advantages of current Time Capsule over 3rd generation?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PieMac, Jul 28, 2015.

1. PieMac macrumors 6502a

I recently had a snafu (software related from what I can tell so far) and am having to wipe my 3rd generation 2 GB Time Capsule clean and start over with back ups. Since I have to go to the trouble and time of all of this, and my TC is five years old, I am considering just buying a new 3 TB TC. As a sidetone, I use the TC to back up my MacBook Pro, as well as my other half's, so we are talking starting over with back ups for two machines, not just one.

My question is are there any real advantages and is it worth it to upgrade? I understand the current TC's are faster, etc. but would it really be worth it since my current TC seems to be functioning OK still? My other hesitation is that the current TC is over two years old and I am thinking that Apple will probably be updating it soon and maybe I should wait for that reason alone.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Oh, I have a 2011 MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 if this makes any difference....

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@PieMac I would go for an AirPort Extreme with a USB hard drive attached for Time Machine...