Advantages of iPod Touch 3rd Gen over 2nd Gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by w00t951, Nov 4, 2009.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

People have a really clear-cut idea of the advantages of a 2nd Gen Touch over the 1st Gen Touch, but I really don't understand why people would get the 3rd Gen over the 2nd Gen. I mean, if there was a camera or some other amazing improvement such as using the iPhone 3GS chipset, then whatever. But, the only change that I can see is that it has a smaller circuit board (and evidentally less battery life) and it comes with OS 3.1 pre-installed. Can someone please explain to me what the huge difference is between the 2nd and 3rd Gen iPod Touch?

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You can just go to Apple's official site...but I guess we'll do your lazy work. There, it states that the 3rd Gen. models (the 32GB and 64GB) perform tasks up to 50% faster than 2nd Gen. iPods. Also, included is the Voice Control app and a headphones w/ Mics. There is more www.apple.com

If you're obviously into gaming, this is a major step in the right direction. Or if you want faster loading webpages, and a better experience - get the 3rd Gen.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I was in a situation where we were playing "musical ipod" among family members, and I had the choice between a 2nd and 3rd gen Touch, both of which had 32GB flash drive. And I really had to think about it, because at that time there was no jailbreak yet for the 3rd gen and I really loved being jailbroken. But not only did the 3rd gen touch run faster, esp when playing games, it also had a slightly better sound quality than the 2nd gen, so I ended up keeping it. And now that the 3rd gen can be jailbroken, turns out it runs jailbreak apps much more stably, including being able to background more tasks because it has more RAM.

Not sure if it's worth the upgrade though, if you have a 2nd gen in good working condition and you have to pay for it out of your own pocket. I was all set to wait out this generation and upgrade next year, but then I basically got the upgrade for nothing. :p

4. na1577 macrumors 6502a

There isn't any.

Features exclusive to new touch:
    - Faster processor/improved graphics
    - Voice Control and Voice Over
    - Accessibility features (Mono audio, white-on-black graphics...)

Other new features that are included in the new touch but not exclusive
    - 3.x firmware (can be purchased separately)
    - Earphones with remote and mic (can be purchased separately)

5. avrpatsfan macrumors member

3g

I think better graphics, open gl 2.0, faster speeds, voice control are pretty important features. The voice memos app is amazing. I can record my college lectures easily and trim them, email them it's great. Also when I'm running I can change the song with voice control. I'd get a iPod Touch 3g if you are a ipod gamer, and you want a good mic with good apps built in.

6. yawnyj macrumors member

What kind of mic are you using to record college lectures? I want to record music practices (ie choir parts etc.,) but don't know the best way to do this.

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i think this topic is like a month late...because there's been massive threads regarding this topic :S just do some snooping around :D