Advantages of leaving 3G on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by onearsenewenger, Jul 27, 2010.

1. onearsenewenger macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, what are the advantages if any of leaving 3G on when not browsing the web or downloading any apps where obviously 3G speed is superior, and there is an obvious advantage. For example Do push notifications such as email come in sooner when 3G is left on?

Thanks

2. tom2847 macrumors regular

The cellular service is slightly better and no GSM noise. I just keep it on.

3. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

I work in a town with only Edge service but have wifi in my office...secret shady variety. In my office...the steel tomb that it is...I only get 1-2 bars of Edge. That said, I leave 3g, wifi, location services, push notifications (apps, not email) and bluetooth on on my iP4 24/7/365 and my my battery lasts two full days everytime. On my old 3g I had to plug it in every night.

In my situation....no reason not to leave 3g on.

Steve

4. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

LMAO i read on multiple sources in the past that 3G has nothing to do with call quality..

Its purely for browsing speed/download.

5. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I'm not sure about voice quality, but I do know 3G doesn't interfere with computer speakers. That humming sound just before the phone rings doesn't happen with 3G radios turned on.

6. apprunner macrumors regular

Apple's website answers this at : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1976

"Q: Is 3G voice quality better than 2G?
    A: Yes, because 3G can communicate with more cell towers simultaneously and process more data than 2G."