Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onearsenewenger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Hi everyone, what are the advantages if any of leaving 3G on when not browsing the web or downloading any apps where obviously 3G speed is superior, and there is an obvious advantage. For example Do push notifications such as email come in sooner when 3G is left on?

Thanks

tom2847

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Hi everyone, what are the advantages if any of leaving 3G on when not browsing the web or downloading any apps where obviously 3G speed is superior, and there is an obvious advantage. For example Do push notifications such as email come in sooner when 3G is left on?

Thanks

The cellular service is slightly better and no GSM noise. I just keep it on.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
I work in a town with only Edge service but have wifi in my office...secret shady variety. In my office...the steel tomb that it is...I only get 1-2 bars of Edge. That said, I leave 3g, wifi, location services, push notifications (apps, not email) and bluetooth on on my iP4 24/7/365 and my my battery lasts two full days everytime. On my old 3g I had to plug it in every night.

In my situation....no reason not to leave 3g on.

Steve

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
The cellular service is slightly better and no GSM noise. I just keep it on.

LMAO i read on multiple sources in the past that 3G has nothing to do with call quality..

Its purely for browsing speed/download.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
LMAO i read on multiple sources in the past that 3G has nothing to do with call quality..

Its purely for browsing speed/download.

I'm not sure about voice quality, but I do know 3G doesn't interfere with computer speakers. That humming sound just before the phone rings doesn't happen with 3G radios turned on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.