Advantages of NAS?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KettyKrueger, Aug 6, 2008.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi All

So I'm in the market for some extra storage and I'm just wondering what are the advantages to having a NAS storage system?

I intend to buy 2 x 1TB external hard drives to store my music/movies and pictures on, one for storage and one for back-up.

I've seen a few NAS's on Amazon and I'm just wondering what they are and what they're about.

Any (basic) info appreciated!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

NAS is nice because on a laptop it allows you to connect the system over WiFi. Or you can just connect a USB hard drive to an AirPort Express and do the same thing.

The real advantage NAS has is that multiple parties can use it at once, and it doesn't have to live in the same space as the computer. You could put it in a back room, under lock and key so it doesn't get stolen.

TEG

3. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

NAS always sounds so good, but for a "common" everyday user it's generally a bad idea. Most NAS devices use a proprietary filesystem which means that if the device fails the only way you can get your data off the drives is to find another device with the same firmware - which may be nigh impossible a year or two after you buy it when it finally fails on you.

If you are an IT guy for a big company with a big budget, then NAS is an awesome solution.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This is why I like the AirPort Extreme system, so you can always connect it directly to your computer if you have a problem.

Most NAS systems use FAT32 or NFS for a file system.

TEG

5. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I have yet to see one that uses FAT32. And NFS isn't a physical filesystem.

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

If you have a old computer you don't use anymore you can always try a free solution like FreeNAS and "build" yourself a NAS.

7. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Thanks for the replies.

So if I was to get an external hard drive with an ethernet port, would this be best of both worlds??

Am I right in thinking, I could turn my Mac off and leave the external drive on and keep steaming my content to the Apple TV??

Thanks

8. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

No, as far as I'm aware you must leave you're Mac on while streaming from an external HD to Apple TV.

9. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

That is correct. The iTunes holding the library must be running to stream to the ATV.