Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fabienne

macrumors 65816
Original poster
I can only buy an iPhone in two places in My Fair City: The Apple Store (where you have to buy a plan from AT&T with it), or AT&T. Is there any advantage to where you buy the phone? It seems like 6 of one and half dozen of the other but what have you seasoned iPhone veterans got to say?

RRmalvado

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
When I got my 3GS last year, I was offered a case and a car charger at the AT&T store. I didn't go into an Apple store so I'm not sure if it was an offer only available at the AT&T store.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Apple store has much more stock, AT&T will sell out quickly on launch day if it's anything like previous launches. Apple store is usually a quick, straight-forward process if you have a regular account. If you have a corporate account or any discounts, it's many times a smoother process at the AT&T store.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
If I'm simply upgrading my account like I did last year for the 3GS I got to Apple since it's easy for them to handle. This year I'm using my sister's upgrade so I'm going to go to AT&T since it's a bit more complicated than just upgrading my account.

tuna

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
I was told by AT&T store employees that you can't port your number from another provider is you start a subscription at the Apple store.

A couple months after the 3GS came out, my family was shopping to bring two lines from Verizon over to AT&T and get two iPhone 3GS 32GB models. The Apple store employees said, 'That's great. You'll still pay full price for everything no matter what you buy'. The AT&T store was very willing to haggle. "you're buying two iphones, alright we'll waive the $36/line activation fees. You're buying Applecare and MobileMe for each iPhone, we'll give you a car charger, pack of screen protectors, and your choice of any case in the store for each iPhone for free. You're buying all that stuff, we'll give you a third new phone for another user in your family that has a two-year contract price of $199, for free, with free activation".

So yeah, at least when supply strengthens, you'll probably be able to haggle free activation and maybe some accessories depending on what you buy and what your phone plan is. At the Apple store you will not. However, I will say that my choice of the "best iPhone case in the AT&T store" turned out to be useless. They don't carry any higher end cases. The Apple store is much better at stocking higher quality, albeit more expensive, accessories. But they won't give you any of them for free.

teddyofindy

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
doesn't Bestbuy also sell the iphones?
when did they normal have the iphones in instock after the previous launches?

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
Apple has much more stock and is easy if you want to add a line or upgrade phones. But if you get more technical with business stuff or opening a family plan, AT&T is the best route because they know everything they are doing. Downside with AT&T stores is that they have much less stock.

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
This is not true.

Quite right. I went to an Apple store near me in the afternoon, hoping the lines would be short, which was the case, and bought a new 3Gs since my upgrade date with my 3G was March 2010. They put my SIM in the new phone, I gave my son the 3G and all was good.

The Apple store had a great supply and I was in and out of the store within 30 minutes.

jbennardo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Bought my 3G way back when at the Apple store - ported two numbers from T-Mobile. No problem.

Maybe I'll try Best Buy, they are so well informed and helpful there :D

tuna

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Quite right. I went to an Apple store near me in the afternoon, hoping the lines would be short, which was the case, and bought a new 3Gs since my upgrade date with my 3G was March 2010. They put my SIM in the new phone, I gave my son the 3G and all was good.

The Apple store had a great supply and I was in and out of the store within 30 minutes.

We're clearly talking about different things. I'm talking about porting a number from another provider. You're talking about changing numbers from within AT&T.

I'm not 100% sure that its true, all I'm saying is that its what the AT&T store told me and when I asked about it at the apple store they said that I would have to set up my subscription with AT&T but that I could then come in and buy the iPhone from them. Which was an unnecessary inconvenience when the AT&T store was offering me ~$300 in free swag anyway if I bought from them.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Eh, I had no problem adding a FAN discount to my plan after getting the phone at the Apple store. It still took 3ish or so weeks to set it up anyways (due to AT&T's stupidity), so it wasn't like I lost time having to do it days after I bought the phone.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
Eh, I had no problem adding a FAN discount to my plan after getting the phone at the Apple store. It still took 3ish or so weeks to set it up anyways (due to AT&T's stupidity), so it wasn't like I lost time having to do it days after I bought the phone.

For me, Apple removed my discount after the 3GS. No idea how, so I just go to AT&T now since they can readily do it in their system. That's what I meant because they have the resources to do so.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
For me, Apple removed my discount after the 3GS. No idea how, so I just go to AT&T now since they can readily do it in their system. That's what I meant because they have the resources to do so.

Hmm, weird.. Well at least your AT&T store staff seem to use their brains! :)
I'm jealous, I've had about 5 too many problems at my local stores to ever want to step foot in them ever again

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
Hmm, weird.. Well at least your AT&T store staff seem to use their brains! :)
I'm jealous, I've had about 5 too many problems at my local stores to ever want to step foot in them ever again

Oh I know where you're coming from. I was just speaking from personal experience with my store. They know their stuff and what they're talking about. But I have been to other AT&T stores where you think they were just hired with no experience whatsoever.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
We're clearly talking about different things. I'm talking about porting a number from another provider. You're talking about changing numbers from within AT&T.

I went to an Apple store, bought an iPhone, and ported my number to it from a T-Mobile account.

That was 2 years ago, so it may have changed. But I would have thought there'd be a news story here if that had happened and I don't recall seeing one.

But who knows. I can't say for sure. I can only tell you that they USED to be able to do it.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
It's really funny how the policies change every year for an iPhone release on iDay but returns to normal after a month or two. So we will have to wait and see what AT&T wants to do this time.

rkswat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2010
In my experience the lines are shorter at at&t stores but they have less stock. People also start lining up at the apple store the night or days before. At launch of 3gs I got to the at&t store an hour before they opened and I was number 16. People that showed up at the store after going to apple store said there were several hundred. If you don't mind waiting and want the "cool" experience go apple store. IF you want fast to the point but maybe don't get an iPhone experience go at&t. Of course going apple store doesn't guarantee a phone. Pre-order and go apple store FTW.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
In my experience the lines are shorter at at&t stores but they have less stock. People also start lining up at the apple store the night or days before. At launch of 3gs I got to the at&t store an hour before they opened and I was number 16. People that showed up at the store after going to apple store said there were several hundred. If you don't mind waiting and want the "cool" experience go apple store. IF you want fast to the point but maybe don't get an iPhone experience go at&t. Of course going apple store doesn't guarantee a phone. Pre-order and go apple store FTW.

Depends on the store. I had the same experience @ an Apple store for the last 2 launches.

rkswat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2010
Depends on the store. I had the same experience @ an Apple store for the last 2 launches.

No lines? Lucky you. Of course your store may very but the Aspen Grove store in Co. gets a loooong line.

There was a line, but I got there an hour beforehand and after the divied up the pre-order vs non pre-order lines, I was 4th or something like that. I was in and out very quickly.

Sweet, yeah that wouldn't happen at the store I typically go to. There is one in a mall about 10min further up the road but I've never been there on a launch day. I'm gonna be smart and pre-order this time round.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
No lines? Lucky you. Of course your store may very but the Aspen Grove store in Co. gets a loooong line.

There was a line, but I got there an hour beforehand and after the divied up the pre-order vs non pre-order lines, I was 4th or something like that. I was in and out very quickly.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
If I buy it, I'll buy it at the Apple Store. The process is slick and the guys know their equipment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.