ADVC 300 - Pulling hair out

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by toolbox, Oct 23, 2009.

1. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Hi all

Some of you may have seen the threads i posted about this box. However i still have some additional questions.

I am interested to see what you have got yours set to. Have you modified any dipswitches, changed settings in the picture controler?

At the moment the box keeps defaulting to best quality and like a 5 minute bit of footage is coming out at 1.5 GB in size, a 1hr long video was 12 GB. There is something not right here - or when i edit in imovie and export does it shrink?

Also can you some how improve the video quality with this box? Because some of the videos i have been trying to digitize when it put it in full screen mode i can see that is a bit grainy and same for the tv.

2. xStep macrumors 68000

The box gives you a DV stream like a miniDV camera would. So the size you see is consistent with that. The dv file created is what you edit in iMovie. When you export, choose another codec such as a QuickTime .mov file with H.264 video codec with the ACC audio codec.

The quality issue could just be due to converting a source that isn't perfect. I don't know. Don't expand the picture bigger than it's native size. If you output the signal to an analog TV it should look OK. If you are outputting to widescreen LCD, then you'll see issues.

3. toolbox thread starter macrumors 68020

toolbox

Hey xstep thanks for the reply. I was getting concerned that the file sizes were getting to high. For some reason the picture controller software is defaulting to "best" all the time unsure why.

When using imovie 09, when you export do you get those options to select the codecs? I don't think i was ever given that option

**EDIT**

Found it, export using quicktime.