Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Am I the only one here who is outraged at advertisements in episodes I purchase? The reason why I pay $2.99 per episode or $30+ per season on Apple TV is so that I'm not forced to waste my life watching advertisements.

Now, episodes that I've recently purchased (starting this month) have a good 30+ seconds of network advertisements, and 30+ seconds after the episode.

Doesn't this defeat the whole point of paying for the episode?! Anyone else seeing this or feeling this?

Episodes in question: the latest family guy episodes, latest American Horror Story episodes, etc.

?! What is going on?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Just to be clear, these aren't product ads are they? There is another thread with a guy moaning about this.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Just to be clear, these aren't product ads are they? There is another thread with a guy moaning about this.

They're ads for other shows on the network (for example Fox Network spending 30 seconds advertising American Dad, Cleveland Show, etc before watching a Family Guy episode).

I don't pay for advertisements. One reason why I liked Apple TV, Netflix in the beginning. Moaning about people wasting my time is a valid "moan" imo.

Edit: Maybe I'm a douche for complaining about advertisements in paid products. If so I'll shut up. Just curious if there were others out there with similar feelings.

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
They're ads for other shows on the network (for example Fox Network spending 30 seconds advertising American Dad, Cleveland Show, etc before watching a Family Guy episode).

I don't pay for advertisements. One reason why I liked Apple TV, Netflix in the beginning. Moaning about people wasting my time is a valid "moan" imo.

Edit: Maybe I'm a douche for complaining about advertisements in paid products. If so I'll shut up. Just curious if there were others out there with similar feelings.

There are, BigMcGuire. In fact, in another threat we discussed the very possibility of ads in purchased shows. While that conversation lead to some very interesting results, we eventually found out that simply warning Apple of this makes them remove the ads - you may have to redownload your shows a few days later, since the ads are probably recorded with the file.

So, if you are interested in reading what's been discussed so far, go in this post. It's a bit long but I think it's worth it. :D

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
There are, BigMcGuire. In fact, in another threat we discussed the very possibility of ads in purchased shows. While that conversation lead to some very interesting results, we eventually found out that simply warning Apple of this makes them remove the ads - you may have to redownload your shows a few days later, since the ads are probably recorded with the file.

So, if you are interested in reading what's been discussed so far, go in this post. It's a bit long but I think it's worth it. :D

Thank you. I am not alone in the univer... lol :)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I completely agree. I go out of my way to avoid ads in any products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.