Advertisements in signatures

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by japanime, Sep 5, 2010.

1. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I've read the forum rules, but am still unclear on the following:

Are we allowed to include links in our signatures to products we sell?

I've noticed several members whose signatures contain links to their commercial websites, where they sell Mac-specific products.

I'd like to do something similar —*include a small notice in my signature inviting people to check out my company's books in the iBookstore — but I'm not sure if this is permissible.

Any feedback or advice that the community can offer me on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As the rules state:

3. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Are you allowed to have links to threads you have already started?

4. japanime thread starter macrumors 68000

japanime

Thanks for your reply!

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you can use external links, I'm sure you can use Macrumors links. Just make sure it respects the rules posted above.

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I talked to Doctor Q I think a while back and as long as links are not affiliates and links to commercial sells, it's ok. :)

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We don't allow signature links with referral codes, like freestuff.com?referralID=1234.

Otherwise, most links are fine, even if it's to your own blog or business, to a commercial product, to a political campaign site, to your eBay sale, or even to one of your threads or posts in the forums.

However, you may not make posts for the purpose of getting people to see your sig. They should see your sig (if they have the option to display them turned on) only in passing, as they read posts you make as part of thread discussions or while asking questions and giving answers in technical threads. The moderators can't read minds but they are very good at determining intent (beyond a reasonable doubt).

If you see useless posts with signatures that have promotional links, please report them.