Advice about 2015 MBP Purchase.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Diana Prince, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Diana Prince macrumors regular

Diana Prince

I have the opportunity to purchase a used 2015 13 inch MacBook Pro i7 16gb 512 ssd. The bottom panel (keyboard, trackpad and battery) have been replaced (3 battery cycles). The seller is asking $1400. Assuming the Apple repair paperwork corroborates all this (which the seller says it will), is this a good price?

I went on eBay and saw these used MacBook pros going for $1400 to $2100. It's hard to tell what’s a fair price. I'm coming from a 15 inch 2012 i7 8gb 256. I wanted to upgrade and get a new mbp but I am leary of the keyboard issues on the new machines.

Is this 2015 a good buy? Thanks in advance to all who reply.

2. bhatiak, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018

bhatiak macrumors member

3. itadampf macrumors newbie

itadampf

Last week I got a MacBook Pro 2015 13" i5 16GB 256 ssd for 1.200 euro in germany. Battery cycle count 93.
    It is in nearly mint conditions, really happy about it.
    I needed a new laptop for the next 3 months (will be travelling a lot) and there was no way I would get a laptop with a crappy keyboard. Just be sure the battery and ssd are from apple, imo that price is ok for an i7 with a 512 ssd.
    And the ssd in these machines are fast, really.
    My advice: go for it

4. csurfr macrumors 68000

Is there any warranty left? 1400.00 is a lot for a 3 year old machine, regardless of the recent repairs, and *potential* reliability if it doesn’t have AppleCare coverage.

Apple sells the base model 2015 15” refurb for 1699 w 256gb, but you have piece of mind that it is covered if something happens, and can get AppleCare for the future.

Edit: did you ask the seller as to why those items were replaced?

5. Diana Prince thread starter macrumors regular

Diana Prince

No I didn't ask about why the repairs were needed. I figure those things failed or were damaged.

You make a good point about the refurb.

6. csurfr macrumors 68000

I’m trying to put it in perspective. If something were spilled on the laptop and that’s why the keyboard was replaced, you never know if something else could fail down the road because of that. Not all sellers are honest and reliable people, and there are always things that might have been overlooked by the ever watchful eye of Apple.