Advice about bedroom redecoration/wall color

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macnewbbie, Jun 12, 2008.

1. macnewbbie macrumors regular

Hi.
    From seeing the "post your setup" thread, there are a lot of people with cool spaces here, so i thought that here should be a nice place to ask for advice...
    Im a guy, and I've been thinking of redecorate my bedroom, not really redecorate, its more painting the walls because i can't buy new furniture because the room is small and i can get rid of the one i have, but i can get "simple" things,like the bedsheets our lamps our things like that. The floor is all carpet( dark green carpet).
    At the moment my room is blue and green, it was painted when i was about 15, and now that Im a bit more older i want something different.
    So, what colors should i use? I thought about white and red, but i don't know...
    I don't have pictures of the room :S
    I don't know if it helps to know the color of the furniture, but is something like this.
    Thank you.

2. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

You may want to visit your local Ikea store for inspiration.

3. chedda macrumors 6502

Suggestion

Mixing off whites is often a good idea or just simply having the main wall (behind the bed often) a different colour. One wall of colour is often enough with the light reflecting of it to add warmth. I can recommend green as a cool, calm colour also sandscript orange like the monks wear. Remember red is passion, danger (blood) so it really depends on what mood you want to invoke.

4. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Black walls and red ceiling, Thats the way to go, ive seen it, a friends room, looks like you just walked into hell..............is that a good thing :eek:

but seriously, off whites are the way to go, but don't do what i did, in a newly decorated room, pass your 3 year old daughter a hook with the self adhesive backing to play with and come back in the room to find if stuck to your newly papered/painted wall about 3 feet up, leaves a lovely round sticky patch after you tear it off :(

5. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

Ikea store is far from where i live, but i already see their site/catalog, there are some cool rooms there, but they only look good with their furniture and i can't really take much ideas from it.
    I don't really know if i want to put red, but it would be a light red, not a dark/ blood red...Green and white would look good too, but i already have green so i want to change it...the mood, i think i want a relaxing/ zen (lol) mood, and something that look good and modern...
    I want to put white too so the room doesn't get very dark and to "relief" from the other color...

6. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I'm partial to white or light grey for walls and a darker grey for the carpet, with black furniture. I prefer minimalist decor and don't really care for color. Of course, my wife does all the decorating so I live with what she wants. :D

7. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Blimey My other half's a trainer/teacher, if i left the decoration to her god only knows what kinda cr@p hole we'd live in, she is so bad at co-ordinating color, for the moments She tries to decide on a color scheme I wish we only lived in monochrome :rolleyes:
    Even then she could make a mess of it, still I love her but not enough to send her out to choose the colors ;)

8. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

OK, how about Irish Mist (ceiling) and Blueberry Buckle (walls)?

Look at Behrs Color Smart:
    www.behr.com

9. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Ehh... I wouldn't do white, then again that's just me. To me it is way too bland and after having my house painted when before it was white it makes all the difference. Painting only one wall I would think is good only if you are doing a dark or bright color (like dark blue or red). I would paint it a different shade of blue, but then again it's all up to personal preference.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I painted my room black (with a white ceiling). My parents thought I was nuts when I said I was painting it black, but now that it's done, it actually turned out quite well.

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Buy a bunch of dry scientific books...Put many in your shelf and then the rest on your bedstand, table, etc., to make it seem as if you're working. Scatter weeks of mail on a table. Leave clothes randomly across the floor. Have bits of electronics here and there in an order that only marginally makes sense. Do not, I repeat, do not, make your bed. Leave at least one article of bed linen on the floor at the foot of the bed. Place empty plates here and there in your apartment after eating, and allow for a liberal scattering of empty boxes of microwaveable food and crumbs of snacks anywhere you please. Leave clothes on the bathroom floor.

Also, don't cut your hair and grow a beard.

12. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Why are you asking a bunch of computer guys what you should do? This seems like a bad idea unless you want your room to focus on your computer.

I like the method of just having a woman come in and say what needs done. They can make any boring room look great.

Just turn them loose, let them have fun. You'll like the result after you sleep in there a few nights.

Of course, this works out better if it's someone that lives with you. But, if not, then maybe a girlfriend will come over and take a look and remodel it for you.

And, if no girlfriend, then ask a friend.

If no female friends, then just ask some random girl if she'd like to redecorate a room at your expense. Maybe promise her something she likes in return like taking her to some event as a celebration of completing the project and as a thank you. Make it something she likes.

Who knows, maybe you'll become friends, then a couple, and then get married. Hey, that gets rid of all the reasons you had to go find some random girl in the first place :D

13. chedda macrumors 6502

Some Ideas

Here are a few shots of some rooms in my house maybe they will give you some ideas... (ps i should rename it the traffic light apartment)

Attached Files:

14. remmy macrumors 6502a

If it is a small room I would recommend white, makes the room appear a bit bigger, its what I did, before it was orange and yellow :eek: ick.

Colour can come from posters pictures.