Advice about buying a new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arielgell, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Arielgell macrumors newbie

Hi,

My English is not so good, please excuse me...
    I am going to start studying in the university in July. I want to buy a MacBook Pro (13”/15”), but I’m afraid that a new one will come out. I know that apple renews her MacBook pro’s once a year or two, can you help me and tell me when is it supposed to be revealed? I can wait even till September ..
    If there’s not gonna be a new model in till sep 19, i will get a new MacBook this week...

Thanks a lot ..

2. mreg376 macrumors 65816

mreg376

No one can help you. No one knows. But the current 2018 MacBook Pros are still new. And very powerful. It is not likely that new models will appear anytime soon. One of the 2018 models will likely last you all four years of college. You don't say what you'll be doing in college, but even the small and very light 12" MacBook may be good for you.

3. Arielgell thread starter macrumors newbie

Last one that came out was the touch pad in the summer right? It had nothing else new but the pad?

4. mreg376 macrumors 65816

mreg376

Incorrect. There were 2017 Touch Bar models already. The new 2018 models bumped the processors a generation from two to 4 cores (up to 6 cores for the 15"), and can accommodate more RAM. Much more powerful machine that the 2017 Touch Bar models. It also added the T2 chip, and Touch ID (although there are some stability problems being reported attributable to the T2).

5. Arielgell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Helped me a lot. Would you buy one now if you were in my position?

6. mreg376 macrumors 65816

mreg376

I just did! I have a new 2018 13" on order right now. Hoping it won't have the T2 issues. If you can, buy it through Apple or a vendor who takes returns and put it through its paces during the return period.

The thing is I'm not sure what your "position" is. If you're going to use the machine at school primarily for documents, web, email, etc, and not heavy video editing, you may be able to save some money with one of the 2017 MacBook Pro's or the 12" MacBook or the MacBook Air, or even better one of these models from the Apple refurbished store, and spend your money on more RAM or a larger SSD. But for future-proofing (or at least to try), the 2018 Pro's are the most capable.

7. Arielgell thread starter macrumors newbie

Amazing. Thanks! Guess I’ll buy the 2018, gonna keep this MacBook for the next 4 years.. what is the best ram and ssd for collage? Like you said (documents, mail and some movies now and then), I can spend some more money for it..

8. mreg376 macrumors 65816

mreg376

Your only RAM choice for the 13" is 8GB or 16GB, so I think the 16GB is a no-brainer, since you can't really upgrade it afterwards. You can go up to 32GB in the 15", but that starts getting expensive. They all start out with 256GB SSD. You can probably get away with that, although upgrading to 512GB might give you more life to the machine down the road. (For college, the 13" is lighter, smaller and more portable than the 15". The 13" has excellent graphics, BUT the 15" comes with a discrete GPU, if more intense graphics/game playing will be a major thing for you.)

9. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I just placed an order for a 2018 15” i7 Vega 20 today, but my 2011 MBP 17” still works great.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2018 MBPs turn out to be still very functional 7 years later (except for gaming or heavy video editing).