Advice about buying unlocked iphone from Phonedevil

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by u49aa2, Jun 26, 2009.

1. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Hi guys

So after i did some social and financial calculations, i arrived to the conclusion that i am better off spending the extra money and getting an unlocked iphone 3G S. I am thinking of buying the iphone from iphonedevil, when it is available, so i just want to check:

1) Did anybody buy unlocked phone from phonedevil before, and how was your experience?

2) They say in their website that they will send the phone back to whatever country they bought the unlocked iphone from to fix the phone under warranty if necessary, anybody tried that and how was the experience.

Thanks

AA

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Considering that their website offers no contact information, no "about us", etc, I would avoid them like the plague.

3. qacjared macrumors regular

Last time I checked the dev team (the people that make the unlocks that most of us use) had not Unlocked the 3G S. This smells fishier to me than the Tokyo International Fish Market 2 days after the power went out.

4. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

nice metaphor :D. I think you misunderstood the website, it advertise factory unlocked iphone and the sim-unlocker. In the FAQ, they admit that the sim-unlocker is not reliable, and they recommend factory unlocked phone. I am sure few people in this forum said they bought factory unlocked iphones (3G) from them, the thing i can't remember what they say about their experience.

5. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

They have about us, and they have an accredited retailer sign. They are relaunching their website and the one you just said is a temporary one. i emailed the guy and i read the info. in the official site and it looks legitimate. and his email was very friendly and looks like he knows what he is talking about.

I know it looks like i made my mind already, however i just want to see if anybody tried them. I will be paying high fee, this is why i am trying to reassure myself.

6. MediaDevil macrumors member

Hi Guys,

Whoah, very mixed opinions about PhoneDevil!
    I came across this thread by chance in the Google search listings. My name is Callum Bush, and in fact created PhoneDevil.com just over a year ago.
    I'm just going to reply to the concerns that have been raised, because they can be resolved quickly and easily and hopefully without me being banned for spamming :)

- First things first: Many thanks for the previous posters kind comments. I truly have no idea who they are, but they speak the truth! Our relaunched website is now live.

- For the guy/girl saying to avoid us like the plague. I'd like to think you at least made an effort to check our previous site out, but if you had done then you really would not have said that :)
    Our previous site was live for just over 1 year. It had very clear links in the footer that led to our support centre (which gives our full company details), our terms and conditions (which, again give our full company details), and our customer reviews (which are excellent).

As the previous poster says, we are members of the IMRG's ISIS (Internet Shopping is Safe) and IDIS (Internet delivery is Safe) protection programmes.
    These are very prestigious programmes in the UK and all major retailers are members. All applicants are vetted at length and must meet all of their requirements (of which there are a dizzying amount).

- Our new website is now live, and I hope you will agree that it is a significant improvement! (although in fairness the old one wasn't so bad ;)
    I am sure this probably clears up all concerns, but if you do have any concerns whatsoever about our legitimacy, please fire away :)
    We don't even pretend to be a large retailer in terms of head-count (because we're not!), but we are a very good retailer and have sold a significant amount of factory unlocked iPhones to end-consumers.

At the moment we are very low on 3GS stock (the market is literally dry - even Apple's official network partners e.g. O2 in the UK, have nothing!), but all orders are dispatched within 7 working days. Send us a message on our support centre if you have any stock availability enquiries....I really don't want to get banned for spamming :)

For product specific enquiries please log a ticket on our Support Site and you will usually receive a reply within a matter of hours.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

How about some "whois" information, eh?

8. MediaDevil macrumors member

How many professional companies do you actually know with their address details in the whois. It would be quite stupid if you have a lot of valuable phone stock or confidential company documents, no?

We were burgled of £25k worth of BlackBerry stock by one of our own trade customers back in January (this is mentioned on our 'about us' page in the company history section), and now we take all available precautions (including keeping all stock in a secure warehouse, which we didn't do before...admittedly not my finest moment).

Please take the time to actually look at our website :) You are picking at the most minor of things and you replied to my post almost immediately. I thought the forum community would like that I took the time to come on here and ease any concerns.

I would very much appreciate that once you've looked through the site, you then update everyone with your opinions, as I don't feel we deserve that kind of knee-jerk scepticism :)
    There are lots of things I *could* say to justify why we are a genuine site. But I shouldn't need to....it is all literally readily available to you on our website! :)

9. MediaDevil macrumors member

As this poster says, we ONLY sell the Factory Unlocked version of the iPhone 3GS.
    We are vehemently against selling software unlocked iPhones. It is a terrible customer experience (including the fact that it voids the product warranty).

Please read this article on our Support Centre for a breakdown of why a Factory Unlocked iPhone 3GS is so much better than a Software Unlocked iPhone 3GS or a Turbo Sim Unlocked iPhone 3GS.

10. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Im not sure but I think I smell Spam...:rolleyes:

11. MediaDevil macrumors member

I was just replying to people's concerns, that's all. No other way for me to do it :) I can keep quiet now ;)

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mmm... no. Only if you're dumb enough to take it in unlocked.

13. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

stop being so negative all the time.

Just buy unlocked from Australia, where apple sell them unlocked from retail stores.
    eBay, nice MR members (for a fee:cool:) et al.

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

Of course it is spam. Is there really any such thing as a factory unlocked iPHone?

And as far as whois is concerned, that's a matter of public record more or less.

I wonder if the whole thread is an advertising gambit by Phonedevil, with the OP one of their shills.

"accredited retailer" signs and such are so easily faked they should be ignored. Other spam sites put BBB logos up, and it means nothing.

Stick to honest established retailers.

15. MediaDevil macrumors member

Clearly I cannot win here. No this is not an advertising scheme. I just wanted to help and it would have been better if I hadn't even bothered....
    The members of this forum are far too sceptical and negative. You don't want to be helped!

The only reason I found this thread is because I am very proactive and found the thread on Google.
    If you really are so crude to suggest that we use faked accreditation banners, why not make the effort to search for PhoneDevil in the IMRG's official member directory? (under the 'electricals' category). http://isisaccreditation.imrg.org/
    Better stick, just click on the accreditation banners to see the verification popup! You really are a tough crowd...I thought you would be happy that I made the effort to come on here and help?

p.s. yes there is of course such thing as a factory unlocked iPhone. You are an established member of the forum and you do not know that? It's mentioned all over the forums and is pretty common knowledge...

p.p.s. Would an established retailer have an excellent Amazon marketplace feedback history with many buyers specifying the factory unlocked iPhone they bought? Please take the time to READ before pouring scorn on a retailer :)

I give up...whatever I say, I am going to get abuse, so I will go. I now see why the 'troll' term was created in the first place.
    I HOPE that in some way I have helped at least one person who reads my posts! :) I don't care who people buy products from, I just don't want them to be worried they will get scammed.

16. MediaDevil macrumors member

These links will help:
    - Amazon Feedback (lots of references to factory unlocked iPhones)
    - eBay history (we haven't sold iPhones on ebay for some months but you will find some references there to iPhones if you look closely. We don't sell on eBay at all at the moment, as it attracts fraudsters to our website)
    - My personal Linkedin career history profile, which clearly shows that I have significant experience within the UK Telecoms industry, having previously worked in the Trading team of the UK's largest phone retailer for some years.

Incidentally, all of this information is readily available on our website via the footer links. I keep saying this but it doesn't seem to get acknowledged :)

p.s. note to moderators: I am only providing these links because of the many knee-jerk negative comments (I'm still anticipating being accused of masterminding 9/11). I would not have provided these links otherwise, as I really do not want to be banned :)

17. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Lol :D, I can't believe, i have been accused of conspiring to fool the forum members. I will try not to take it personally (though it looks like it is :cool:). I only knew about Phonedevil from the iPhone forum in MR and I only contacted Callum the owner last month to ask about his price and availability. Actually, i decided to go for different seller (see the link below), as Phonedevil website relaunch took forever, and the price they offered was higher than the one I ordered from. To be fair to Callum, even though i didn't go with phonedevil, i don't think the guy is a fake, actually if it was not for the other selller giving me more value for money, i would have purchased from him (not only one, but two iphones).

So please choose your words before accusing people of being fraud. I have been a member here for a while now, and i am really surprised you didnt see my history, in term of thread and input, before you made your judgment about me!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8019168#post8019168

18. qacjared macrumors regular

I would like to point out a few things. First, weather or not one many think that PhoneDevil is spamming or whatever we should realise that French Law requires there to be unlocked versions of all cell phones. So apple, if they want to sell iPhones in France must supply an unlocked version. Apples does sell iPhones in France, and guess what they are unlocked. So these unlocked iPhones, 3Gs and 3GSs do exist, due to legal requirements.

Also, I see a difference in spamming and trying to promote ones business and trying ti DEFEND ones business.

It would be a very different thing if "PhoneDevil" had come all up in our hood and been like yo I got me some tripping BALLZ unlocked iPhones yo shizzle. Yo take yo self over to phonedevil.com right now ya'll you hear?

Instead this phonedevil dude was like look guys; I'm the owner of this business and I think you guys have wrong assumptions about my bussiness. I am going to go out of my way to make sure my name and my honor are not being tarnished.

The fact that he looked up his company on Google says something about what the internet plays in our important decisions in life. Every bussiness owner should be doing this.

I mean really guys. Is this were Comcast they'd be like pfft, idoits on a web forum. Who cares? We're comcastic!