Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Note that you will not receive USB power through a card like this. What advantage does this card seem to have to you over a small usb hub? In my experience express card to usb or FW adapters can be extremely finicky, while USB hubs work flawlessly.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Note that you will not receive USB power through a card like this. What advantage does this card seem to have to you over a small usb hub? In my experience express card to usb or FW adapters can be extremely finicky, while USB hubs work flawlessly.

This item has a not pictured external powersupply, but overall I agree.

U49, you will do MUCH better getting a small USB hub that is smaller, for less, and also includes external power.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Totally correct - either this device or a usb hub will require a power brick to provide full 5v usb power. (Most devices don't need this) but adding a device like this sticking out of the side of my laptop, plus another cable going to power always seems more cluttered than a usb hub tucked away on the back of my desk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.