Advice About "Dead" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mac'nCheese, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I have an older iMac. It's about ten years old and we use it for a guest/kids computer. Just surfing the web, watching netflix. Anyway, I had a feeling something might go wrong with it soon, the hard drive (I think, could be something else) makes a weird noise every now and then. Today, I had to shut it off to move a power strip and it won't turn back on. I tried the only "trick" I could find online and that was to make sure everything was unplugged from it, unplug it for a bit and try again. Nothing. So....I made an appointment with at the apple store in two day but was wondering if in the meantime anyone had any advice as in: forget it, its way out of coverage and any repair won't be worth the money.... or did you try to restart it this way.....or how the hell should we know what's wrong with it, just go to the store....

Thank you in advance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like maybe a bad power supply inside. At ten years old I sure would not spend any money on fixing it.

Maybe get one of those new $200 Chromebooks for the kids to use?

3. metanoiapi macrumors member

That's the camp I'm in.

Unless you have some much needed files on the disk; in which case it will obviously need repair. They might be able to dismantle the computer and remove the hard drive; then download the data off the drive.

4. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

It's a miracle. For some reason, after an hour or so I tried again and it started up. But I agree. When it does STB, i won't get it fixed. We never put anything important on it and have a time machine backup done daily anyway. Thanks again. Sooner or later, it will end up in the big bin at the recycling center with all the tube tvs.

5. metanoiapi macrumors member

Awe..so lighting my candle worked for you! :cool:

I"m glad. And yep...right next to the tube tv's and Apple Lisa's. :eek: