Advice about external hard drive for MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Oliver Webber, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Oliver Webber macrumors newbie

Could any readers recommend an affordable basic external hard drive for a macbook air, which would also serve as a back-up for my old pc laptop?
    I don't need it to be portable, just to serve as back-up at home, though if it doesn't escalate the price too much wireless would be a bonus.
    I see there is a vast range of products available at a vast range of prices...any advice gratefully received!
    Many thanks
    Oliver

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I would strongly recommend you look at drive that attaches to your local home network. My preference is wired vs wireless. Often it will be described as NAS (network attached storage)

I base this strongly on the fact that you seem to want to use it on both a PC, and a Mac. Using a direct attach drive (ex: USB) is not very elegent because you would want different formats for the drive depending upon which system you were attaching too. On the other hand, a NAS should work fine with both operating systems.

You can buy drives with wired network connections that only have a modest premium over USB drives. Some routers support a USB attached drive, and effectively makes them into a NAS. I have not had great luck in this regard. Apple also sells routers with built in drives (Time Capsules) but they are quite expensive.

/Jim