Advice about switching, buying

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RzrbldeSuitcase, Jul 24, 2007.

1. RzrbldeSuitcase macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I've made up my mind, especially after watching the WDCC vid last nite :) I will be switching to a MBP and getting away from PCs finally.

The question to u guys is, since I'm not really used to how Apple do things, how will the Leopard release go down. Will they just offer the same MBPs they are offering at the mo but with Leapord(and possibly iLife07) loaded onto them? Or will they be bringing out whole new machines with different spec? If so will the prices change? I'm from the UK btw so bear that in mind.

Secondly, I'm getting the education discount for my second year of uni but in the UK we dont get a free ipod and since I like to haggle I'm gonna try and get a few things thrown in. I mean, they'll probably say I'm already gettin 150GBP off but that doesn't really apply as the MBPs don't come with Office loaded so that would be 95GBP just to get that, which is needed in any education system!

So anyway I'm not expecting a discount in monetary terms but thinking about possible freebies. I would love to have a graphics tablet for PS and think if Apple carry one for around 50GBP it shouldn't be too hard persuading them to throw one of them in.

If not the other things I'm looking at are a wireless mouse and keyboard or at least a security lock or case.

What you guys think, any advice or discussion on these topics?

2. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Last time I checked there is a £100 educational discount on the low end MBP.

I don't think there will be any hardware updates for the MBP come October - maybe in late spring next year at the earliest - but who knows!?

3. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

1) The MBP just came out and will probably not be changed for 6 months or so. Based on history, once Leopard is released all Macs will then come with it.
    Unless a hardware release happens to coincide with an OS release Apple does not build a new machine just for it's OS.

2) You can ask, but they're usually very strict about the offers they have in each market. It they have £110 off education, that's what you get. If they have $150 and an iPod, that's what you get. But again, you can ask nicely and maybe get something- just don't expect anything beyond what's on paper.

Once you get aquanted with your Mac, you'll love it. It'll take some time, but you'll be very productive real soon. Your machine will be working for you, and not the other way around.

Welcome, your Kool-Aid is on the table. ;)

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Good move .. :)

I don't think new a new hardware release will happen at the same time as Leopard.

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Its hard to tell when apples will bring out something new, nobody but them really know. I dont think you will manage to get anything extra from apple althou i heard it is possible.

It takes time to get used to the OS X, i figred out almost everything on my own. Just play around till you find it i say.

Good luck with your new mac. You can PM with question that you think will be to silly to ask on the forum and i will get back to you as soon as i can. I also found that people around here are very helpfull and will often go out of there way to help.