Advice and Experience

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bainesajay, Aug 11, 2009.

1. bainesajay macrumors member

I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice or personal stories with regards to buying a Mac from the Portland Apple Store.

I have calculated what looks like a pretty good saving from me driving down to the states (which i will be doing anyways as part of a family vacation)

If I buy my wife her MacBook Air from Vancouver (she is a student)

$1629 + 12% sales tax = $1824.28

If I buy from Portalnd Oregon:
    $1399 x 1.1 for CDN conversion = $1538.90

So this is a major saving. Even if I can not qualify for the free iPod touch deal.

So here are my questions for you guys:

1. Can I simply show my wife's UBC (University of BC) student card and qualify for the edu discuont at Portland Apple store?

2. Do you know if they take CDN credit card or must I pay cash? do they take cash?

3. Does anyone see any flaws in my plan? (do not worry about the border)

Thanks for all your help

2. bainesajay thread starter macrumors member

3. bluespark macrumors 65816

1. Yes, the student I.D. should be sufficient.

2. They will take credit card or cash. Almost all credit card companies will now do the currency conversion for you. However, be mindful that most of them charge a percentage fee for this service. It's probably small, but call the company and make sure to factor that into your calculation.

3. See #2, above. Also, did you factor in Portland's sales tax?

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Do you plan to enter Canada and not claim the computer? Might want to trash the box before crossing in case they search your car. Not sure if the risk of getting caught not declaring is worth a few hundred dollars, though.

5. bainesajay thread starter macrumors member

uh oh, I was under the impression that there is no tax in portland oregon?

6. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

There isn't. I was going to suggest you just go to the Apple store at Southcenter mall in Tukwila, WA but then you'd have to pay 9.5% sales tax BUT is there any other reason for going to Portland? Because the tax would still be cheaper than the amount of fuel you'll need.

Just a thought!

Andrew

7. bluespark macrumors 65816

That's why I phrased that part as a question -- I'm from Chicago, where the sales tax is more than 10%! Sounds like you've thought through everything.

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

OP, you came to the thread again but didn't answer this question.

Plus, trashing the box may not be enough. To prevent tricks like this, the Canada Border Services Agency recommends that you "declare" your valuable possessions before crossing the border into the US. They register the serial number of the item (e.g., your MBA). That way, when you come back across, if they ask about it you have proof that it was in your possession before you left.

You may or may not get nabbed. Sometimes they don't check. If they do, and you are bringing in something illegally, you'll be on the hook for taxes and duty for sure, plus whatever else they throw at you.

See the info here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html#s2x2

9. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

Creditcard companies usually charge a 2.5% fee on top of the exchange rate.
    If you are not declaring it at the border, that's fine. If you do, you are allowed $400 per person for a 48 hour stay. I believe it's $700 or $800 for a weeks stay. Even though the Macbook is duty free, they still will charge BC sales tax at the border for any purchases that exceed your duty free limit.

10. bainesajay thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your help. I will not be claiming it at the border and likely be just chucking the box. I might bring cash in order to avoid the credit card ding.

Does anyone know if the Apple Store takes cash? I have never been to one?

Anyone have any ideas on how i could still qualify for the iPod touch rebate as I am not a US resident?

11. bainesajay thread starter macrumors member

Update Argggh

I am driving to Portland in a few days but did a little test in California. I talked to the Apple Store guy and he will not accept my Canadian University ID. But they will take online he said....

Looks like my plan may not work in Portland... Any advice?

12. kenobe23 macrumors member

You could try calling the Portland store... Maybe the California guy you talked didn't know what he was talking about.

I take it you don't know anyone in Oregon? If you did you could order online and have it mailed to them.

Sorry I can't help more, cross-border shopping can be frustrating...