Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blondago

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Can someone please help???? I've been looking through forums and searching the web for a couple weeks now looking for an internal usb 2.0 hub that's mac compatable. I've found the koutech kw-7102 hub which alot of pple recomend, but it apparently has been discontinued due to problems. I have a g4 sawtooth originally 500mhz. I want to pub an internal hub (usb 2.0 or both usb and firewire combo) into my 3.5" zip drive bay. I've read nightmare stories in some forums about some hubs frying their entire systems so i wanna make sure i get one that works. Can anyone help.....PLEASE!!!! i'm goin nuts here. Just about to upgrad my entire system.....430w atx power supply, dual 1.8 processor, 9800 pro mac video card......etc. I want to test the hub in my system before i install everything else so i don't blow everything up. I just need this mod to complete my project. Thanks

blondago

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Hey thanks for the reply. I already have a usb 2.0 pci card, i'm looking for a multiport hub to stick in the 3.5" drive bay where my zip drive used to be. My last resort is to just by an extension cable and dremel a hole in the casing and mount it there, but i'd rather have a nice hub to take up the whole bay. I'm just tired of having to go behind my computer to change devices, how lazy is that??? lol. I could just get an external hub, but i'd need another powerstrip for more outlets which i'm trying to avoid. Everyone says the Koutech 7201 works great on a mac.....but apparently they stopped selling em 3 years ago.....but thanks again for the post....any ideas are welcome

blondago

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
i'm a little weary just putting any hub in tho......i've read too many stories where their computers are fried. I don't understand how a usb hub can fry a computer tho.....its just 12 volt power and ground and it plugs into a usb slot......now a pci card i can understand.....i'd like something that says its mac compatable or to hear from someone that has it installed first....lol. Thanks for the input.....ill keep that one in mind....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.