Advice Appointment with a Genius today at 4.30pm

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MikeM87, Oct 13, 2011.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hey,

I have an appointment with a genius today at 4.30pm. I installed ios5 on my iPhone 4 and i am unable to use iMessage i can only send text messages. Also my home button has not been working for a while its an intermittent problem where it works then it wont work.

My question is i bought my iPhone 4 on day of release. If it does need to be replaced do you think they would replace it free of charge? Has anyone had an experience like this?

I once witnessed apple change a damaged iPad 2 someone had bought off ebay from another country so surely they will change this.

Any advice is much appreciated guys :apple:

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

backup your data before hand since they will probably just restore as new

3. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hi,

Tried this didnt work but everything is backed up :) just to be on the safe side. Will they fix it or swap it i am under no illusion it is out of warranty just wondering.

Thanks

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

If it's out of warranty, they owe you nothing, in terms of covering the phone.

5. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Lol out of warranty? Why would the replace it? I also see no reason why iM wouldn't work..... sounds like operator error to me.

You should have no issue with your 4s when it gets there. ;)

6. rkahl macrumors 65816

Do you have AppleCare for your iPhone 4? If not, and your home button hasn't worked in a "While", why didn't you address the problem when you were covered under warranty?

7. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

i wont be paying for a replacement i'll just send it in to a phone recycling or ebay. I have seen them and also had friends had them replaced out of warranty as long as its fixed i'd be happy i just dont get why iMessenger wouldnt work all my setting are correct i've even checked them!
    :confused:

8. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

It will probably cost you 99$ and they will give you a refurbished iph4

9. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

recently been working away and really not had time time i havent got any apple care on the phone no i'll have to see what they say i guess i just hope it is a software problem that they are able to diagnose and fix.

10. rkahl macrumors 65816

iMessage only works if both parties have iOS 5 installed.

11. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I went to the Genius bar with the same issue with my home button and they offered me a replacement for $200. If I were you I would go in assuming that you won't get a free replacement because that's probably what's going to happen. Also iMessage only works between iOS5 devices.

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Home button sticking seems to be a common issue. Some people fix it with a good clean, but doesn't always work. Try letting the genius know you know it's a common fault. If you get nowhere you could always try Sale of Goods Act s.14(2), has persuaded people to help me in the past!

(Note I'm not a lawyer!)

13. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Yes i know this had GM on ipad so i know how it works :)

14. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Out of warranty repair for iPhone 4 is $149.00

15. rkahl macrumors 65816

Just checking because it doesn't seem that you know how AppleCare works.:)

16. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Yes i know how it works just didnt purchase it, which i now regret on my iPhone i have it on my macbok, imac and ipad so yes i do understand but thanks for trying to highlight the issue anyway.

Thanks for your input guys i do know about the home button being a common fault so i will mention that but it is out of warranty so i dont expect much if i'm honest especially not the phone being exchanged.

17. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Apple is very good in Customer Service. If something is REALLY wrong, They will 99% sure give you a brand new iPhone.

18. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The bottom line is that no one can tell you if they'll replace it free of charge or not. They're under no obligation to, since it's out of warranty. I wouldn't go in expecting them to replace it or fix it for free. You might get lucky, but don't count on it.

----------

Apple is very good in customer service, but I really think people need to stop thinking they're entitled to things that they really aren't. You might get lucky and get it replaced, but telling someone that it's "99% sure" is totally untrue.

19. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

All you can do is ask worst they can say is no i guess and thats my plan :)

Thanks anyway guys

20. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Why not just get one of the many phone stores that fix phones, to fix the home button?

I got the volume buttons on my 3GS fixed for a tenner at the local phone repair/unlocking shop. I could have done it myself only I couldn't find my tiny screwdriver set, and I was passing the shop anyway.

Recycling the phone seems a bit extreme.

I think you're just chancing your arm - a tiny niggly problem to try and blag a new phone.

21. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hi,

Did you read what i actually stated or just ignore it? not being able to use parts of IOS 5 is the main issue. I dont really care too much about the home button, more the OS working which it does not at this time.

I own alot of Apple devices so i can if needed purchase another but i really dont feel the need to if this one can be fixed or exchanged. What is the worst they can say No! Fine its out of warranty which i've stated so please dont try and say I am trying to "blag" a new phone when you didnt even read what i read.

Thanks

22. dave420 macrumors 65816

Or ask for a battery replacement. Cuts the cost about in half.

23. Pheo macrumors regular

Did you buy it from Apple on day of release?

Alot of the above posters seem to be unaware of the UK Sales of Goods Act which means goods must be of reasonable quality. Although reasonable is not explicitly specified, it depends on the cost/type/usage of the goods e.g. a phone you bought for a tenner would not be expected to last as long as a £500 smart phone.

I would go in, not aggressively, and discuss with them; knowing apple, they may very well replace it for you.

However if they refuse, you should probably have done your research with regards to SOGA; I think its fair to say most "ordinary" people would expect a £500 purchase to last longer than a year in this case (given the cost vs other phones, and the profit margins involved), especially for a critical function which essentially renders the phone unusable.

Here is a link, but there are plenty more via Google.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/how-long-should-it-last/

One determination of durability would be contract length; is it reasonable for a phone sold for contract purposes to last the length of the contract? Clearly no.

Hope that helps./

24. jhuang macrumors member

Did you buy your phone w a credit card? Check with your cc company - I know Amex & now Bank of America cards have an extra year of warranty.

Also, re: the home button.. mine was totally unresponsive on my 3G and I opened it up, stuck a little ball of foil between the sensors, and all is well!

25. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

I agree. If It's out of warranty, You are not entitled to anything.
    But like we both said, They are very good in Customer Service. And there is a good chance you will receive a new iPhone.