Advice before buying iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JDee, Dec 14, 2008.

1. JDee macrumors 6502a

Hi there,

I am going to buy an iPhone over in the UK. Just a few questions before I do so.

Can you please give me the answers and advice on the questions I have listed below - thank you :)

• Overally, would you reccomend the iPhone 3G 8GB?
    • Is the 3G service OK in Northern Ireland? (ok if you don't know)
    • Is the camera good?
    • Is there a limit on the free unlimited data with a pay monthly option?
    • For the "GPS" on the Google Maps application, is it overally acurate? I don't need it to be very very accurate, but it would be good so that it could identify which street I am on.
    • I know you don't know the answer yet - but could the iPhone 8GB be discontinued in MacWorld?
    • What is the Apple iPhone Gift Card?
    • Do you like the App Store?

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

1) The 8GB is fine if that's all you need. Base it off of your iTunes library size. I would absolutely recommend any iPhone.
    2) I'm in the US, sorry.
    3) The camera quality is great. It just lacks features such as zoom and video recording.
    4) The unlimited data with a standard iPhone 3G plan is great, there are loose restrictions in the several GB range that you will have trouble violating, don't worry about data in other words. (Does that answer your question?)
    5) The GPS is VERY accurate when you are outside and on the go. At times is homes me in within roughly 10 meters and will move as I drive down the road displaying the correct lane I'm in on the road, but this may vary. To directly answer your question, you will always know which road you are on.
    6) No clue on discontinuation of 8GB model at MacWorld.
    7) The gift card is so you can give someone an set amount towards a new iPhone 3G and they can go get their plan set up. It's so they can create their own account with their wireless service provider and create a contract.
    8) The App Store is great. It's growing faster than I can keep up with. It's hard to find the best Apps because there are just so many, but don't worry about that - works great, lots of fun and many to choose from.

Good Luck!

3. Scoops macrumors newbie

Just to comment on the gift card bit:

In the UK the gift card can only be used to pay for the PAYG iPhone whereas, in the US this isn't the case. Currently the contract iPhone cannot be bought as a gift as you have to sign up to your contract in person at time of purchase. It will be interesting to see if O2 start using the home activation again??

4. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

Are you sure? My local Apple Store said there'd be no problem buying a gift card with cash and using it to buy an iPhone. They didn't say only PAYG.

5. svndmvn Guest

I would definitely recomment the iPhone 3G 8GB, I love music and I've had the 16GB since July when it came out, I only have about 5GB of stuff in it,for now.
    I find the camera great, and there are a few apps in the App store,even free, that let you optimize your pics. Check out the iPhone Photo of the Day thread.
    Maps w/ GPS is quite accurate, but it also depends on your area, I suppose.
    I doubt it will be discontinued, even if there'll be a 32GB out, I think it could be pricier than the 16 GB and the 8GB sells too much for it to be discontinued. When fatty Nano was out, they kept the storage Line the way it was, same goes with the last iPod touch update.
    The App store is awesome, but not as good as the stuff the iPhone was built for, Safari and iPod.

6. archipellago macrumors 65816

UK here..the only advice I could give is don't buy it..

in fairness it depends whether you want a great phone with some multimedia use or basically an iPod with the phone bit tacked on and not very good.

so to answer your questions..

1/ No
    2/ O2 3G service in my experience is awful everywhere but major city centres. The iPhone in the UK struggles to keep any sort of signal in 'weaker' areas where a cheap Nokia candy bar is fine for calls and texts.
    3/ Camera is awful, you need to do the COD4, hold breath move to get any focus.
    4/ Not that I'm aware of.
    5/ GPS varies from spot on to wrong continent...honestly!
    6/ Possibly
    7/ No idea
    8/ No, just a mess of majority rubbish with the occasional gem in there. Lots of ads in the free apps too. Lots look cool and then you realise there are a bit pointless.

to add credibility I had the original iP and downgraded to the 3G, build quality on the 3g is awful I went through 4 or 5 units.

This is my real life experience.

For the outlay and commitment there are much better deals out there.

Have you considered the G1 or Storm?

7. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

The iphone gift card can be used to give someone a contract phone. I know because i sold one yesterday at work :)

Also i am looking at a 16GB PAYG iphone so i am keeping a close eye on this one!

8. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

UK here, and my advice is ignore the above.

1) Depends. Do you have < 8GB of stuff you want to store?

2) O2's data coverage is hit/miss. You'll most likely find shoddy 3G performance anywhere outside of major city centers. Their 1G coverage (i.e calls and SMS) is, in my experience, pretty average. Not the best of the carriers, but not the worst either. One quick note: forget about EDGE coverage. It's virtually non-existent.

3) What do you expect... It's a mobile phone camera. It won't take good photos, but for the occasional snap it's fine.

4) Yes there is a limit, but unless you're tethering and/or trying to hit the cap, you won't. Soft cap is somewhere > 1GB IIRC -- but again, you just won't hit this via your phone, even with heavy daily use. (I use about 100MB a month, and that's with constant e-mailing and browsing.)

5) Yes. If you've got a GPS signal, it'll provide good accuracy. The more satellites it can lock onto, the better the resolution. With a 5+ satellite fix (not uncommon when in the clear), you'll get a fix accurate to several meters. If you can't get a GPS signal, however, (i.e. if you have to use cell towers to estimate position) accuracy varies wildly.

6) No idea.

7) Same.

8) Yes, although I haven't used it much. I use Shazaam for music identification, and I've played a couple games, but most of the software I use is either stock software or *nix utils obtained via Cydia.

9. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

1. 8GB fine but you intend to store video or lots of music you'll have to organise in iTunes. Buy the 16GB if you can afford it.
    2. Outside of Belfast I think you'll struggle. 2G is tolerable. Get wifi for home.
    3. Subjective - alright not as good as a digital camera.
    4. Yes, but don't worry about it
    5. Should be ok for that
    6. dunno
    7. dunno
    8. The potential is fantastic. A few gems in there, lots of tosh too.