Advice before I think about getting the 3.06ghz Imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Elven, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Hi all.

I am in the market for the 3.06ghz 24' iMac. I am wondering whether it is a good time to buy one, or whether I should wait for any major revisions.

Thank You.

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

no question, BUY!! They just got updated.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Are you sure you need the 3.06GHz model? It is a lot more expensive than the others. What do you plan on using the computer for?

4. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

3d Modeling, audio work, and some photoshop, perhaps some Bootcamp with Xp for some minor gaming also.

I have noted I could buy the Mac Pro with 2x2.8ghz cpu, 2GB Ram, 8800GT, and the 320GB HD for a minor increase in price.

Very tempted. Any reason for not moving to the Mac Pro really?

5. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Uh if you didn't have an LCD monitor to use? Looking at the pimped out imac, the lowest macpro seems like an interesting alternative. It'll age much better and you can actually upgrade it..

6. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

I am currently selling my Quad Core Windows system, it's just to rash and loud for my likings these days, so I could keep it's display panel if required.

Would the Mac Pro even with the single Quad Core processor be a viable purchase over the 3.06GHZ Imac, I am fairly new to Apple computers with this Macbook being the first Apple computer I have owned.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Really depends where you're going to put it. The Mac Pro is, undoubtably, a superb bit of kit, but it is very heavy and throws out a fair bit of heat (although it's not very noisy)

8. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

It would be in the lounge, I am conscious of that I would be buying a tower to replace a tower.

Out of interest what is the expected cycle life of the iMac? I am not sure how long Apple tend to run their Macs before the next generation comes out :)

9. savvos macrumors regular

iMacs are update in cycles a little longer than 6 months. Check out the buyer's guide for more info:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

A single CPU Mac Pro will have a lower clock speed than the iMac, but it should rock 3D modeling with 4 cores.

10. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

Thanks, I probably will end up with the iMac, The Mac Pro will work out a little expensive, but I am due to have an hour at the Apple store today, so I shall have a look at both.

I do not do major 3D work, I just require a reliable stable workhorse, which can last me around 3-4years without issue.

I have read the 8800GS is giving issues to some users within OSX?

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

what issues? It's underperforming in core image work (though not as much as it used to, since 10.5.3), but are you referring to something else?

12. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

That was it yes, have they gotten past those issues or are users still suffering till 10.5.4?

13. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Either computer should be okay for 3-4 years, but the Mac Pro will age a lot more gracefully. I mean, if it were incrementally upgraded, I could even imagine a 7-8 year useful lifespan (until the bus speed/processor became the bottleneck).

14. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

Been for a demo today, I have decided to go for the top of the range iMac, just suits my space requirements better, I will buy with 2GB ram and add 4GB at a later date.

15. Alloye macrumors 6502a

Good luck with your purchase. I just ordered one myself. :)

16. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

Congratulations, I am trying to shift my Quad Core Computer to aid some of the cash.

17. ZLurker macrumors regular

I just orderd mine aswell 2sec ago :D :D
    Im so happy im almost freaking out :p

I orderd the 3Ghz with 4Gb of ram.
    Lets se who gets it first ;)

18. ZLurker macrumors regular

I woulnd expect a computer to last more than 2years (3 if you are lucky) if you are using it as a pro.
    As a home computer... my iBook in the signature is over 4years and is still perfect for home use, email, surfing the web etc.

It all boils down to what you use it for.

ZLurker fan of ZLatan

19. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

Well I ordered mine yesterday with 2GB of ram. I plan on putting the 4GB kit in on a later date once it arrives.

Very happy the demo went well at the Apple store, so just waiting on approval from Apple and all is good. :)

20. Vster macrumors 6502

Grats! :D

iMacs are so sweet, you'll love it!

21. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

Still waiting on a e-mail from my bank, but given how long it has taken it looks like a yes, so I can expect to have it by end of next week, and then my Macbook while be my out and about machine rather than my primary.