Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reverence1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
Hello

I am about to purchase MacBook Pro 13" before I do I want to ask your guys opinion about:

1. Touch Bar do you really need it? I will use the laptop mainly for internet watching movies? the only benefit I can see is the 4 type-c exits.

2. Upgrading the ram? Do you really need it? I am not using any type of programs this is not a working laptop.

3. Upgrading the SSD? Is 256GB will be enough? If I have a thunder bolt 8TB drive connected to it.

4. My last question will be I will need a good type-c hub with 4K 60Hz exit to watch HDR content some recommendations please.

Thank you for your answers.

Last edited:

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
  1. No, you do not need it. The TB model does have the benefit of being quieter and having a more powerful CPU/GPU, though, and the convenience of TouchID. Additionally, with the TB model, you will be able to use your 4k/60hz display + your Thunderbolt1/2 hard drive (with an adapter) + other USB 3.1 (3.0) devices without needing an expensive Thunderbolt hub (with the nTB, you would need either a Thunderbolt dock or other USB 3.1 (3.0) devices will run at the slower USB 2.0 specification.)
  2. It is completely dependent on your workload and preferences. If money is not a huge concern, IMO it is worth it. Even if you do not need 16GB now and money is a concern, if you are dead-set on keeping this computer for a long period of time (rather than upgrading it should your needs change), then 16 GB to me makes sense. If you are not using the system in a fashion now requiring 16 GB, do not plan to in the short term, and are fine selling the system + purchasing a new one should your needs change, 8GB seems perfectly fine to me.
  3. Very much situational-dependent and personal preference. 256 GB is enough IMO when someone is OK with using external storage and/or cloud storage.
  4. You will need a Thunderbolt dock if you want to connect a 4K/60hz display to the hub and USB 3.1-1 (3.0) devices to the hub as well and have those devices run at USB 3.1 speeds (otherwise the other USB devices will run at 2.0 speeds, and your other port will be occupied by your Thunderbolt hard drive, which you will need an adapter for if it is Thunderbolt 1/2). Many of these TB3 hubs supply power as well, so one cable to your MBP could provide power, video, and data, in a convenient single-cable solution. An example is the CalDigit TS3. (If you do not care about having a single cable solution but must have USB 3 transfer speeds when connected to a 4k display (and it needs to be 60 hz and NOT 30 hz, there is no significant cost difference between the cost of the touchbar model and nTB + a TB3 dock.)

Last edited:

reverence1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
ZapNZs thanks for your reply.

Can you torovide me links for 2 adaptors for 4k/60Hz and a thunderbolt 1/2.

Thank you

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
If you purchase a MacBook Pro nTB and want 4k/60, the Thunderbolt hard drive, and USB 3 speeds with other devices simultaneously, you would need something like this
http://shop.caldigit.com/us/Docking Stations/Thunderbolt Station 3/TS3-US10

If you get a touchbar model (the above single-cable solution would also work just fine) and do not care about single-cable solutions, you would instead need a USB-C-->HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort cable (depending on your monitor - some monitors have HDMI but only support 30hz if the HDMI revision is older than 2.0), and either a USB-C-->USB-A adapter or a cheap USB-C hub for all other devices (which one depends on what devices you use)

You will need this adapter either way
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Before going further, could you tell us from what source you intend to watch movies?

And... do you want to watch them in 1080p, or... 4k?

reverence1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
I want to watch 4k and HDR content I was looking all over the internet and couldn't find compatible cable Display Port 1.2 to HDMI that will support 4K/60Hz.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What year MacBook will you be getting?
2015?
2016?
2017?
The answer is important because it will determine what type of connecting cable you'll need.

What will you be watching 4k -on- ?
A tv?
A computer monitor?

Again, the proper connecting cable will be needed.

This is more complicated than you figured... eh?

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
This will work if you need DP-->HDMI for 4k/60 - note that the MacBook Pro has never had a full sized DisplayPort tho, and through 2015 they featured a different form factor called miniDisplayPort
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Dis...-2&keywords=displayport+to+hdmi+4k+60hz+cable

However, if you purchase a new MacBook Pro, it does not have a DisplayPort port nor does it have a miniDisplayPort port - it only has USB-C, and uses what is known as "DisplayPort-over-USB-C" - you will need a USB-C --> miniDisplayPort / DisplayPort / HDMI (depending on your TV.) If your TV supports HDMI 2.0 or newer, it is capable of supporting 4K @ 60hz using HDMI and the appropriate USB-C --> HDMI 2.0 cable. If your TV does not support HDMI 2.0 or newer, you will only get 30hz and so for 4k/60hz you would need to use DisplayPort.

With a new MacBook Pro, this USB-C --> HDMI 2.0 cable will support 4k/60hz, provided your television/monitor also supports it
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Thu...=1507653520&sr=1-3&keywords=usb-c+to+hdmi+2.0

If your television/monitor does NOT support HDMI 2.0, but has a DisplayPort port, this USB-C --> DisplayPort cable will support 4k/60hz
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Thu...653520&sr=1-3&keywords=usb-c+to+hdmi+2.0&th=1

If you are purchasing a MacBook Pro older than 2016, you will need a miniDisplayPort-->HDMI/DP/mDP cable, depending on what inputs your monitor/TV accepts.

reverence1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
Hello first of all I am buying a 2017 MacBook Pro 13" Ntb and I will watch the movies on my LG OLED B6 TV.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Hello first of all I am buying a 2017 MacBook Pro 13" Ntb and I will watch the movies on my LG OLED B6 TV.

This supports HDMI 2.0 so a USB-C-->HDMI 2.0 cable will allow 4k@60hz.

If you want to use the display, hard drive, and USB 3.0 ports simultaneously, your best option is purchasing the Thunderbolt dock or purchasing a touchbar model instead of the nTB.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Hello

I am about to purchase MacBook Pro 13" before I do I want to ask your guys opinion about:

1. Touch Bar do you really need it? I will use the laptop mainly for internet watching movies? the only benefit I can see is the 4 type-c exits.

2. Upgrading the ram? Do you really need it? I am not using any type of programs this is not a working laptop.

3. Upgrading the SSD? Is 256GB will be enough? If I have a thunder bolt 8TB drive connected to it.

4. My last question will be I will need a good type-c hub with 4K 60Hz exit to watch HDR content some recommendations please.

Thank you for your answers.

For me dongles fall out... but that's personal choice than anything.

TouchBar - Finder would make more use of this than apps do, as TouchBar will work only if the app supports it or had been updated to support it. Mostly all Apple apps support TouchBar naturally

With memory, its best to max it out, or get as much as you want at purchase, because u won't be able to upgrade it later. You'll be stuck with what you have.

256Gig SSD is enough for me... but depends what you do, photos/video/in-design stuff etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.