Advice: Best way to backup 200 DVDs

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by koobcamuk, Nov 1, 2007.

1. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I have a collection of over 200 DVDs and want to have a copy on hard drives so I can either sell them on, keep in storage, of get out for special occasions.

Having 200 DVDs is a bit of a nightmare when moving house, and I plan on leaving England in a few years time. I'm not taking them all with me.

Is there a good software and hardware solution? I think my MacBook might did if I give it all the work to do. External drive? Handbrake? Any tips appreciated.

2. desertintheshap macrumors newbie

3. l33r0y macrumors 6502

Mac the Ripper for software, external firewire hard disk to store the images or video_ts folders.

I should'nt have to remind you that if you no longer own the originals, you can't legally keep the ripped copies either.. ;)

4. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

a) Mac the Ripper - awesome, thanks

b) Firewire HD - check

c) what about importing - get a firewire DVD reader/writer? I don't know if the MacBook will die or not... :eek:

d) and lastly, of course I won't sell any - this is a backup. If I sell them, then the backup will go... :)

5. l33r0y macrumors 6502

Well I guess you could go with an external if you want to reduce the stress of the internal drive, but that's up to you.

If the internal drive failed after 200 reads, I'd be more pissed at Apple than at myself.

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

the best advice i can give you is take a week off work :p

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Better get yourself a Mac Pro with 2 DVD Drives...or 200. Then run 200 instances of ffmpegX :D

8. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I was planning on burning a movie a day for over half a year. How hilarious does this sound? I might not bother... or pay someone :)

Mac Pro might be overkill :D

Maybe I will just download them or something. I own the originals... so shouldn't be too bad... :)

I dunno. Seemingly too much effort to be honest. Has anyone else tried anything like this?

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I'm sure you could buy the mac pro as a 'business expense - DVD: post production'. Just kidding. But hey, you aren't moving out for a few years, you could do one every week and still finish by moving day. Or you could finish it all in 16 straight days (you might end up with a melted MB though).

10. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

That's why I wanted to get a firewire external DVD reader. That way I would be safe knowing that whilst the processor might get hot - the physics of the MacBook will not get home from spinning disks. Melting the Macbook might be a way of getting an upgrade off Apple though... ;)

Hmm....

If I wasn't a Ph.D student maybe I could get a MacPro... until then it's just my MacBook, ACD, iMac in the office, xbox 360, 22" samsung monitor... hang on... I am doing ok :D