Advice: Buy this dented 2.5ghz MBP SR?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cecilkain8, Feb 16, 2009.

1. cecilkain8 macrumors newbie

I came across a 2.5 ghz Macbook Pro 2008 model for sale on craigslist with all original packaging.
    specs: 250gb hdd, 8600m 512mb, 15" matte screen

The problem is the unit is badly dented at the right lower case, where the superdrive is at(pics shown in ad). Called the seller and she says it's only cosmetic and everything is fully functioning otherwise. Screen is fine from what I know.

I was able to haggle this unit down to $950 from $1200. Knowing this is going for around $1500 and I probably won't get applecare coverage, should I go ahead and pull the trigger on this deal?

link to the ad:
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/sys/1037636430.html

2. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

If it were me, I would not do it. I think the peace of mind in having warranty (or applecare) coverage would not be worth the savings.

That thing is mangled. Who knows how the force that caused that damaged the internal components?

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I wouldn't get it, there's no telling what kind of problems that you'll have later on. Think of the fall that was required to get it that mangled.

4. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

5. cecilkain8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to ask her to do the full hardware diagnostics. Wouldn't that alone be able to relieve me of any internal failures if fully passed?

im 50/50 on buying since I've just sold an out of warranty 2.4 black macbook for the exact amount I would be getting for the mbp. Definitely need the 512mb of the 8600gt for video editing.

Thanks for all advices and any other.

6. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Even if the machine runs now, after damage like that anything could go wrong. In a week, a month or 6 months - something could be faulty that you cannot pick up on in diagnostics, or you'll start to get random kernel panics. I would stay away.

7. giffut macrumors 6502

Only ..

... do it, if you are able to go there in person and do all the necessary live hardware checks yourself. I, e.g., calculate how much money I am able to "waste", so to speak: Is it US$ 200,-, that´s what you can risk then. US$950,- likely seems way beyond, right? Then you need to show up there.

Warranty is always good, but won´t cover everything - but most of it, for sure. Buying used machines leaves all the repairs to yourself. I myself - for budget reasons - am forced to buy used or built on my own, and it worked out so far pretty well. But I do get my lessons and cryouts from time to time. Just don´t expect that someone helps you out. In case of hardware failures, you´ll be digging deep into the machine yourself.

That´s sometimes funny, occassionally prettty stressful - but if it works out well, you´ll be feeling like MacGuyver´s stepson: "I screw, therefore I am".

I myself keep on screwing, for better or worse ;-)

PS

US$ 950,- buys you a brandnew Macbook, either the firewire variant in white or the new aluminium body frame.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

9. ospasha macrumors newbie

dont

dont even think about
    fixing this would cost u alot
    i would rather spend few extra bucks on a normal one

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you are comfortable with your ability to repair computers and run diagnostics then I would go for it.

However if something did go wrong would you repair it yourself or use a computer repair service? If the latter do not bother with it as the price of repairs becomes overwhelming.

11. cmegens macrumors newbie

Just buy the updated white macbook for that money. You'll get decent videocard and warranty for a good price....[

12. pgreene macrumors newbie

Not as risky as it seems

I dented my MBP when it fell from a desk. It is dented on the lower left corner where the hard drive is. I have had absolutely no problems with it since the accident 6 months ago. Moreover, it is an old computer (2 1/2 years).

13. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't do it either. The dent will easily be used by Apple Care for denial of service. If anything goes wrong and they can tie it back to that dent, they will and will make you pay an absurd amount for the repair. Not worth the savings. If you are looking for a classic MBP, I know that Macmall has the older generations on their website. I have seen them for as low as 1299 after rebate.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba