Advice buying MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BizzyLeo, Aug 27, 2011.

1. BizzyLeo macrumors newbie

I know that there are many other threads asking the same thing, but I need some first hand advice from you guys.

I will be (hopefully) buying my first MacBook Pro very soon. But I need some advice as far as which specifications to get. I will most likely be using the computer for personal use such as surfing the internet, watching videos, emailing, school, etc.
    Most likely won't be doing any serious video and picture editing. But I may start doing it for fun.

The Mac I plan to get is the 13" MacBook Pro. I can't decide between the i5 and i7 processors. Based on what I described, which should I get? Also, if I stick with the i5, should I opt for more RAM speed instead?
    Finally, I know MacRumors advises that we should only buy the Macbook Pro IF we need it. I don't need, but I want it!

I want to keep this Mac for as long as possible so longetivity is important to me.
    Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jrv macrumors regular

There is no circumstance where the i7 13" inch is worth the money. Buy the i5, upgrade the ram, and upgrade the harddrive to an SSD if you want(I didn't but a lot of people like the snappiness.) It'll end up being around the same price, and an i5 with 8 gigs of ram an an SSD is a hell of a lot better than a bass model with an i7. Also, buy your upgrades separately. Apple charges way too much(What is it, like 200 bucks for 8 gigs of ram? 4x's the price of buying it on amazon.)

3. bad1550 macrumors regular

I just picked up i5 MBP 13" and Best Buy priced matched a local retailer.

The $200 I saved was was used to purchase a SSD!

As of now 4gb memory works for me.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

When you mean easy stuff, do you mean like net surfing, music, and mail?
    If so i5 would be fine.

If you do heavy stuff like photoshop, video edit, games, i7 would be excellent but just for normal day use, go with the i5.

5. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Buy the i5 and just save your money for when SSD prices are a bit lower.