Advice: Check Genius Bar before leaving with replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xolan99, Aug 3, 2008.

1. xolan99 macrumors regular

So last Tuesday, I got the white iPhone from an AT&T store and it had the cracks in the plastic issue. Went to the Apple Store in 5th ave NYC and ordered a replacement on Thursday and by Friday afternoon, it was there.

As soon as I got the phone home, I wiped off the smudges and saw some deep scratches in the chrome. I made the earliest appointment which was Sunday 3:10 A.M. (about an hour and a half ago).

I showed the guy the phone and he's like "You walked away with it. We don't take back cosmetic damages." I then go, "OK so I guess I was naive in thinking that Apple would provide me with a refurbished phone that has undergone strict quality standards. But this wasn't my fault." I kept arguing with him and finally he ordered a new phone but said that "This is it. You have to make sure you go through it with a fine tooth comb next time."

So here's the lesson: If you are getting a replacement iPhone, make sure you are 100% satisfied with the cosmetics before you walk away.

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Sounds like he was just disgruntled for having to work at 3AM

3. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

why the op was told does make sense. He could anyone possibly know who made the scratches? So I think that the genius was actually being pretty nice to replace it.

4. xolan99 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree - it is a tough situation for an Apple employee to be in. Which is why I'm recommending to everyone: Check your phone before you walk away with it. :)

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sage advice.