Advice: Crazy Neighbor

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bainesajay, Jul 2, 2009.

1. bainesajay macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

I am going to try to tell you this story with as little bias as possible. Approximately three weeks ago I was having a BBQ/Party with my wife, some friends, and family. We were saying goodbye to a really good friend who was off to a different province in order to become a paedatric physician. Anyways, around 9pm, a small packet falls from above and lands on my cousins head. He figures out what it is and throws it away as it EXPLODES. It was a simple far bomb, that really made a loud noise. My cousin walks out to see which condo from above could of done this. After some examination he sees a little kid hiding from the balcony. He yells at the kid and asks him to show himself. The kid runs in.

After a few minutes the presumed father comes out and asks if there is a problem. My cousin and I walk out and explain what happened. The conversation goes like this:

Neighbor: there is no one like that here, if you F*** yell up here again, I will kill you.
    Cousin: Are you saying there is no kid up in your building
    Neighbor: I am from a crazy irish circle and have paid for my place 400K cash paid, you will die if you mess with me. I will kill you and put a hit on your head. He points to me and says "i have no issue with you my neighbor, but i will kill you (to my cousin)".
    Me: I decide to intervene, and apologise (not sure for what). and tell him to go inside before this becomes a fight.

He went inside and it sort of ruined our evening and scared the crap out of everyone.

********Three weeks later**********

I am having another BBQ and less people this time. We have a fire pit going outside and are being quiet. At approximately 8pm another neighbor comes by and asks us to shut down the fire pit. I agree and apologise for any smoke that may of bugged him. As I am about to spray water and shut it down, A huge gush of water come from above. I run out to see and the guy above me is gone but water is dripping from his balcony...

Now my wife and friends are terrified. The guy says nothing and simply won't show his face. So my wife strongly suggests we call the police and file a report. The non-emergency officer arrives and says this is nothing, don't worry, and basically writes me off as someone who is fearful. He does however file a report. He suggests I offer to have a beer and get to know my neighbor (i fully exlpain the situation to the officer too).

********A little bit about me: I am not a fearful person, actually I ve lived in some bad areas and travelled to some dangerous countries. I would normally go duke it out with this guy ( i know dumb, but thats me). But I just got married and now can no longer just worry about myself. My wife is a student and I work long hours at a hospital (clinical pharmacist). So I can not always protect her.

Any advice on this would be great? (thanks for reading)

2. bainesajay thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Yeah that is what my friends and wife were saying. So thats why we called the police and he did make a file. But he did not seemed concerned at all. Towards the end he got my gist. But I think considering it is a nice and safe area where I live, he wrote me off as some wimp. In fact he joked about the water not being dangerous. I tried to explain its the neighbors behavior that is scary and the fact he does not communicate. I dont know what to do. I might just go up there and talk to him by knocking on his door this evening...

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) You did the right thing by filing a report (and should continue to do this with future incidents).
    2) Is this person in the same condo as you? Is there some sort of condo owners association you can approach?
    3) Were you on your balcony, or in a back yard with your parties? I'd suggest indoor gatherings for awhile.
    4) Good lock on door, access to emegency phone numbers. Beyond that not much else you can do.
    5) You shouldn't feel fear in your home. If the menacing behavior continues, and you have no support form the authorities, move if you can.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Not sure this is a great idea. He seems easily provoked. If you know any of your other neighbors, ask around about the guy. You may not be the only one whom he has menaced. If this is a pattern of behavior corroborated by others, you may have more leverage.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If you and others believe the threats to be credible, then they need to be reported. I'm not sure about BC, but in most of the States, a threat that you believe the person has both the means and intent to carry out, and/or you are in reasonable fear for your safety creates a large burden on both the police to ignore and the neighbor to disprove. In many states that level of threat alone is a felony, and certainly within the bounds of an order of protection (or provincial equivalent).

Keep up with reporting, document as much as you can, and check with the police on what your specific rights and reasonable courses of action are. I don't know if this is a sudden thing or not, or the behavior and players are consistent, but I'd at least take prudent precautions until you get this resolved. You may also want to avoid inviting anyone else over for patio activities until you get this cleared up. That, or only invite cops over.

It could be just a drunk mouthing off, but without seeing it firsthand it's hard to say.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I'm not completely sure, but this sounds a lot to me like the neighbor is implying to you that he is associated with a criminal organization he can use to carry out his threat to murder your cousin.

I'd make sure to stress this point to the police any time you report something, as it adds the context to differentiate this from a more innocuous neighbors' spat.

8. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Judging from your nick I'm assuming you're Indian. Your neighbor is a racist and I cannot believe that you did not file the complaint when that bomb landed on your cousin's head.

This could get dangerous and I strongly suggest that you mention the first incident to the police as well.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

In the US these threats of killing and harming people generally fall under the terroristic threats provisions, and these complaints usually make an order of protection easy to get and keep in force.

The judge may be easier if the people can stay away from each other, but neighbors are idiots -- on both sides and like to poke sticks at hornets nests.

Which means -- move as soon as you can, it ain't worth the aggravation and potential injury.

10. bainesajay thread starter macrumors member

more thanks

Thanks for all the advice guys,

just to clarify, I have told the police about the past incident. BUt he did not seem to take it seriously. He just kept writing me off as some people who don't talk to there neighbors. The police officer also said people who are in the mob, dont say they are. And people who kill people, do not say they aer going to kill people.

It reallly bugs me (the cop). I know its tough on there part, but these are people in both Canada and USA, who continuely want more power in order to keep us "secure". Yet when you ever do not feel secure, he basically says "fix it like men".

I just moved there about 8 months ago and its my first property after working six days a week for an entire year. I really can not move that easily... (also considering the state of the economy/housing market).

I just was talking to a friend of mine, and it feels like this right now where I am in BC (Vancouver).

Man throws a luggage bag and holds a stapler in a combative stand, gets tasered to death by the RCMP 5 times.

Man threatens to kill my cousin and harasses me every time i have a gathering, RCMP tells me to cool off and handle it like men.

I dont know

11. bainesajay thread starter macrumors member

yes

yes my family did immigrate from northern india over 40 years ago and i was born in canada. (funny we were celebrating canada day when this happened yesterday). anyways, he did not say a rascist word and i would hate to play the race card (even though i really believe it is in canadian society). however, trying to be a objective human, there is NO evidence of racial discrimination here. plus my condo and his condo (same condo), is mainly asians.

12. bainesajay thread starter macrumors member

dont know his occupation

13. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Move... I've been lucky in that I've always had great neighbors, but I've watched firsthand over the years as my brother has battled it out with looney tune neighbors (I think he's gotta take some blame here, but that's another story). It's a bad situation when things are like that with your neighbors- makes for a miserable life. I feel for you- and it doesn't sound like your problem neighbor is as level headed as you which means working this out could be a challenge.

I hope it works out for you- but I'd consider moving and starting over with a normal set of neighbors.

14. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

You never know, the 'crazy Irish circle' prompted me to think that way. Racists usually get peeved when they see a mixed race couple - I don't know if your wife is Indian or not but if she isn't, then there's a good chance that he is one.

Obviously, just an assumption but keep it in mind nevertheless. Next time you have a bbq or any sort of party.. keep a camcorder handy and keep it recording (you don't have to point it directly at his condo.. just keep it on so it records audio)

At least that way you have some solid evidence on record.

15. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

I think SunBaked was trying to be funny (postal workers/brokers are usually easily irritated and go 'postal' lol)

16. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

17. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

OP call in the local mafia for ur next BBQ. I f he chucks anything, we all know what will happen. btw, don't tell him u called in the local mafia :D but seriously, You should keep a close eye on this guy. He certainly seems like the racist kind, judging by what he says and did. Looks like he taught his kid the same. Op, seriously sne dhim some rly rly spicy tandoori chicken w/ habanerro peppers.( say its a truce offer :D)

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Too bad you aren't allowed to get a mafia-based insurance policy worth about $250k.

This human is insured for $250k, hurt/kidnap/threaten him and the $250k will be paid to the first person/group to kill all his attackers.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

Next time you have a bbq outside, aim a video camera at his balcony and keep it running.

20. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Seriously, OP, record everything video or audio. Record all your conversations with that racist nut case and also with the police. And, let your friends and relatives know you have those recordings plus this online thread as well.

Hope everything works out for ya.

21. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

u took the mafia part of my post seriously. but the tandoori chicken part. completely serious about that. make the nutcase suffer w/ the fire of habanerros.

22. bainesajay thread starter macrumors member

Update

Hi Everyone,

Thank you again for all the advice. I decided to take a bit of a riskier road. I went door to door in my condo giving out my phone number and introducing myself. When it came to the crazy guys door he said thanks. Then he said he was sorry for three weeks ago when he got a "little mad" at my cousin. I thought I would just let this go. I replied "you really terrified him, and he is afraid to come back to my condo" (a slight exaggeration). He apologised and said he was under a lot of stress from the baby. He then shut the door and came outside.

I brought up the water thing and he denied it completely. I then started smelling some alcohol on his breath. He is about 5*8 and he have me his name. I told him about the police officer and he got a little nervous. Now I am nearly 100% sure he dropped the water. Anyways, he said there would be no more trouble. And then jsut so it did not look like i was singling him out, I proceeded to introduce my self to others in the building. But those conversations were short and pleasant.

I really hope nothing happens again...

23. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

hmm, that's good in a way. at least he's only drunk. It would be a worse situation if he was actively racist while sober.