Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Hello,
This is my first post, so forgive me for being rude and jumping straight in with a question. I do regularly read macrumors.com but never 'needed' to post a comment. But here I am.

Amongst all the others that I have somehow collected over the years, I own a 17" iMac G5 (with iSight, and I believe to be intel core 2 or something) that suffers from the infamous 'Vertical Lines' problem from a few years ago. Back when that happened we pretty much gave up using that machine and bought a new macbook pro to replace it and put the poor iMac up in the attic to gather dust with the Powermac G4 and my Commodore 64.

What I plan to do is use the iMac as a media hub (to browse the internet, watch movies and play music) and hook it up via the mini dvi port to our TV and projector in the main living room. Whilst I have permission to do this from the wife, I have been told that I am not allowed to just 'plonk' the imac in the front room and have the screen and all its ugly lines sat next to the TV. So, my plan is to remove (or disconnect, at least) the lcd screen, turn it around and mount it to the wall in the room next door and run all the cables to the TV through the wall. FYI, it would have to be in the room next door as there is not a logical place for it to go that is near the TV.

I suppose the questions I have are these:
1) If I remove the lcd screen will the iMac still power up and function as usual?
2) Will there be a heat issue? I expect that by removing the screen this will reduce some of the heat produced by the iMac, and as I plan to mount it on the wall (screen to the wall) I could leave a one inch gap between it and the wall to allow air to pass. I am aware that I should also ensure that the fan/air slots are not covered - but as they will be facing into the room I do not see this to be an issue. Correct?
3) Will the mac have problems knowing what screen resolution it should be displaying or anything like that? I suppose this question is related to the first.
4) Has anybody else done anything similar (surely I am not the first to think of this)? If so, do you have any advice?

:confused:

Thanks,
Richad.

Richad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
I can't believe that nobody else has not already thought of this... cmon, somebody say something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.