Advice for a art school student

Nick23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Hey so i just got my macbook pro 13 inch 2 days ago and so far its great! I have a friend who is going to Savannah college of art and design this fall and is looking for a apple computer to use. i am an IT guy so the whole art thing on pcs/macs is not my expertise and was wondering which mac you guys would recommend.

she is looking at the 27 Imacs right now but i personally believe a good laptop will be her best bet for college. She wants to do graphic art/ design so i am sure that will def change what kind of laptop she will need.

thanks in advance.

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
IMO, the current model MacBook Pro's should be fine for your friends needs. You get speed, power, and the portability that an iMac can't really offer so well.

The core i3/5/7 processors will suit you well for art design. Although a RAM upgrade may be necessary if it's going to be super-intense graphics work.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
15" or 17" MacBook Pro should meet all laptop requirements. The big decision is whether she needs a desktop workstation or a laptop and it sounds like she is undecided? For college use a laptop being portable is a huge plus.

Nick23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
ya she seems really focused on the 27 incher, but i think its because the idea of having a 27 inch screen just seems so cool. but for a dorm room and overall use i think the laptop is best as well. i just graduated from college so i know how important having a laptop is lol. I just wasnt sure if the current laptops are really that good for graphic design work since i have never done any before, so before i recommended one i wanted to see what u guys had to say.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Adding a screen, keyboard, and a graphics tablet to the MacBook Pro 15-17 might work.

Otherwise, she'd need a cheap refurb MacBook or something for classes in addition to the iMac.

Nick23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
ya shes limited to one computer so either a nice desktop or laptop, i thought maybe a nice cheap external monitor and the laptop would work

Nick23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
thanks for the advice everyone, i will relay the info to her