Advice for a MacBook Newb!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frankc92, Feb 25, 2011.

1. frankc92 macrumors member

Yes, yes, much to the chagrin of my peers I admit that I've converted to MBP's as a student.
    University library's are flooded with these things, I couldn't help but want to jump on the bandwagon! :p

Onto business....
    I'm in the market for a MBP 13", never had one before! Much like most here, I was a little disappointed in the update (because I waited so long for it/skipped the late 2010 model). Mainly this is because of the GPU "downgrade" more than anything.

Anyways, a couple questions that I would love to have addressed, and thank anyone who has an opinion!

1) Can the MBP play HoN decently? It's the only game I play and would play on the laptop.
    2) Refurbished 2010 model or get the 2011? I'm not necessarily on a budget, but saving a couple bucks here and there won't hurt.
    3) I don't do much video/3d rendering, but I do on occasion. Not as picky as some of the other artists on here, but I do enjoy seamless and *quick* processing. Will the low-end MBP 13" work for me?
    4) Anyone know when the back-to-school discount kicks in?! =P

Cheers! I'm happy to be aboard.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2. Definitely 2011 IMO.

3. Should be fine.

4. Usually in late May

3. spacetoaster macrumors newbie

I got the same problem that you have, was a little disappointed by the GPU and now i'm kinda confused what model to get. But i think you'll be better off taking the 2011 model, since the CPU kicks ass, even if the GPU might be slightly worse than the 320m. And i think a game like HoN (Heros of Newerth i guess) is also kind of CPU intensive, even though i'm no expert.

Did apple do the back-to-school thing every year for the last few years?