Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FranJMM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Hello,

I am new in this forum and I need help for the configuration of the iMac 21' I plan to buy, it will be my first Mac.

I have a limited budget, so I can not upgrade everything, just one thing among these:

- Graphics Card (GeForce GT 750M NVIDIA)

- 16 GB RAM

- Fusion Drive

I need the iMac primarily for programming (iOS, Android, Java, Web, Python). In fact, I want a Mac for iOS development (I don't want to deal with Hackintosh) and for better support to Android development (not installing drivers, etc).

Nevertheless, I would like to use the iMac occassionally for gaming. I don't care to play with medium graphical settings; in addition, I usually play strategy games (Sim City, Civilization), and rarely some demanding game, like flight simulators.

Taking into account my needs, I am more inclined to the graphics card. I don't trust very much in Iris Pro, most reviews I have read rate it bad.

Fusion Drive disks are impressive, you save a lot of time loading programs and trasfering files, but you can do the same with an HDD disk indeed, but slower. Am I wrong?

The RAM is my main worry, since it's not upgradeable in 21'. Will be 8GB enough for five years, at least? I am not going to edit large image or video files so, are 16 GB really neccesary for me?

There is a fourth option, indeed: wait for late 2014 iMac upgrade (October ?), what is not very clear. I want de iMac ASAP, but I could wait if the upgrade really worth it.

What is your opinion? I know that is hard to opine, given my particular needs.

Thanks in advance

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
By waiting until early October or so, you'll potentially be able to:

1: save more cash for one or two more BTO options
2: benefit from a potential spec bump
3: possibility have cheaper flash/ram options

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.